Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the Chatsworth PAW today, and after I got off the freeway (About a 12 minute trip away from home) I noticed my motor was pinging when I got above 2800-3000rpm! Thats the first time I have ever heard that motor ping. Anyway, after a few stoplights it stopped pinging (Heat from the freeway trip obviously caused detonation) and I continued to PAW, and once I got there I decided to check the timing. I didn't really pay much attention, but it was in the 15deg advance neighborhood :D . Well, I dropped it back a few degrees (don't know how many) and put a tank of 91 octane (Dang Chatsworth gas is cheap! Their premium is the price of my regular), and it seemed to have stopped pinging. I drove it normaly there, and on the way back too, but to see if I could get it to ping (Wanted to make sure it would be fine in all RPM ranges) I took her to about 100 briefly and no ping!

Sooo, how bad was it on her to ping for that long? I'd say about 8-9 minutes. Probably pinging about 3/4 of the time of that. Seems fine now, but I've heard bad things about detonation.

Thanks

Chris

PS. Bought me some 68 size jets (Had 66) as the plugs weren't white, but weren't brown, they were boarder line lean.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bumped up my jets two sizes, holy cow what a difference. Winds up alot faster, and practicly begs me to speed :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts