Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share since I finally got these loaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dig the chrome Mercury pentroof VC's. Nice ride too.
About those pent roof mercury valve covers, stock or add on? I believe they may be from an earlier model but I don't know.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I beleive they are from the Mercury 410 engine approx 66-67 full size cars.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i want to know more about the red 73-79 crew cab in the background! i love that body style truck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i want to know more about the red 73-79 crew cab in the background! i love that body style truck!
Ahh the red crew cab, it may be for sale to fund the eliminator restoration, gotta evaluate funds. I rebuilt it about six years ago from a logging crummy that was hammered. It now spins 38 inch tires by way of a 521" stroked 460 with waaay too much power for the locked dana 60 rear. Interior is out of a 97 crew cab xlt, power seats and all. I have a ton of money in the thing and rarely drive it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sidewinder
Does your eliminator still where the original paint? if so, Looks like the stripes are just like my factory stripes...straight and one side higher than the other....also no 428s on fenders like mine...what is the build date?
THANKS
Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is still in the original paint, bummer that there is some body damage because the paint actually still shines. My car was built on 4/17/69 and wasn't sold until august. I will have to look at the stripes, never noticed anything but since the doors and fenders have been off before it may not be accurate. The guy who owned the car through the late 80's and early 90's took it apart to "restore" and that is how it still is. What valve covers should the car have? And yes also there are no 428 badges anywhere on the car. As I put this beast back together I hope some of you with unmolested cars can help me get it concourse correct. Little things like the shifter boot and bezel etc., no directions for some of that stuff. If anyone out there needs pictures of specific areas let me know, I will be glad to post them. This thing still has the original exhaust on it!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
I would iron out that 1/4 and keep the original paint. Patina is the new "cool" in our hobby and I think it will be worth more in ten years with worn original paint then if you paint it. Save a ton of money and you might even feel more freedom in not worrying so much about it. Just my opinion, glad you pulled the trigger, I know you have been pining for this one for years!

PICT9021.jpg (1 of 4) May 12th, 2010 10:37 PM
PICT9038.jpg (4 of 4) May 12th, 2010 10:39 PM
PICT9050.jpg (3 of 4) May 12th, 2010 10:38 PM

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Don, I have been contemplating what to do on the paint myself. I have already massaged out the passenger door to where it is respectable and could pull the quarter around, the worst is the bottom of the wheel well openings in the back where it appears that tire chains got the best of the sheet metal. Either way I hope to fix the motor and put it all back together after I finish the 68.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if I can swing it, but an invite puts a little pressure on!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Hopefully you can find a way to make it work. A number of us will be heading over from Seattle. It's about 340 miles for us and about 175 for you so it will be a pretty good road trip for all. We're staying at the LaQuinta on 22nd & Sherman if you want to make a reservation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you guys all participate in the prowl in July? I am tentatively planning to come over for that function.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm with Don on Saving the Original Paint. And then you won't be scared to Drive It. The GT500 Vert. Stretched it legs the other day, and it is heart-pounding to say the least, when even thinking of driving that thing around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts