Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
From what I can see in the pictures those are two of the best I have seen in a very long time. The white paint is there from when they were made originally. The chrome appears to be in good shape on those, most are quite pitted. the lens looks good and usually the silver ring in the middle front is farther gone. Those are definitely keepers!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't done anything yet in regards to cleaning them. Any recomendations?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
wash with 409 and a very soft brush---4/0 steelwool and wenol or semi chrome on the od only--the white on the rear of the lens will come off with solvent and the silver ring is either paint or a vacuum deposited process--very fragile.to answer your previous dream post , the steel sping clip was painted separately (probably for anti rust) as the rivit heads are not painted
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yesh Missa Bashore, you want flied lice with #1 special? :buck:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yesh Missa Bashore, you want flied lice with #1 special? :buck:
I have no idea what that means? ....

The white paint may come off the plastic even with 409! Sometimes that white paint is so weak that if you hit it with compressed air it will blow it right off the plastic. I would not touch the silver/ chrome part in the front with a brush. The silver/ gray paint is actually a primer coat to get the chrome layer to stick. The chrome is very thin and mostly oxidized to nothing leaving the primer exposed. It looks like your still have some chrome left. Those are really nice so be careful. (Most of the samples I see have been Arizona heat treated so they may be more fragile than parts from a more forgiving climate.)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I will maybe just not clean them at all. ? No clue where Bob is coming from?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Bill,

Bob is making fun of the misspelling of you name. He's using an exaggerated Asian accent. "Flied Lice" = fried rice.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops, sorry about the spelling there, just wasn't paying no tention.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
With a name like mine I have learned to answer to anything and take offense at nothing. I had a junior high gym coach that called me Billy Bazzarah. If I tried to correct him he would have me front and center for a few swats. It helps you get over the name thing real fast.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Was his name Mr. Woodcock?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
No, Ed Mimms as I recall. Actually he was a pretty fine coach. I used to wrap my butt with an Ace bandage when I knew I was up for swats; it eliminates every thing but the heat. It seems like back then they were pretty certain the way to reach your brain was by the application of oak to the backside.

·
Registered
389 Posts
and i too was taught via the paddle and dammit it worked. much better than the "excuse me susie its not polite to shoot your friend...now say you are sorry and wont do that again and you can have a cookie".

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When people stopped diciplining children is when society began to loose respect for everyone including themselves. Our generation is who I would blame but it will take an entire new generation to correct it! I learned a lot of respect from the back of a hand or piece of oak!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Coach Mimms used to say "Bazarah I'm gonna hit you so hard that yo grand-kids gunna' feel it". He liked to swing low and wide and then tell you how many inches your heels came off the ground. Good times! LOL!

I shot Theopolis Duhart in the nuts with a rubber band when he came out of the shower. It hurt so bad he almost threw up. I recall that my butt was candy apple red after those swats. I couldn't sit down in class for the rest of the day. Theopolis nearly made me faint when he popped me with a towel two days later. I thought my pecker was going to fall off. Mimms spared no one. Theo's butt turned a deep purple and I swear you could feel the heat from three feet away when he walked by. He didn't know about the Ace bandage trick. We ended up being pretty good friends after that.

Things were settled that way. No parental conferences, no case workers or counselors. Punishment was swift and sure and we didn't repeat too many stupid things. Does today's system work better? Maybe for some it does. I guess in time we will see.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
My first grade teacher made you point all the fingers of one hand up, while rubbing the up pointed fingertips together, and smack the ends of your fingers with an ACME ruler on a downswing, once for each spelling mistake. Most i ever got was three (once), and I certainly got better at it real fast.

You just can't imagine the burning feeling, along with the "needles"...

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
In my automotive class (years ago) we had a little elf of a Scottish teacher, who at the beginning of the year, told us everyone of us would get his 3 foot spring steel ruler across our butts by the end of the year. Fast forward to the end of the year, last class, 2 of us had not gotten the spring steel ruler, I was one of the 2. He had both of us come to the front of the class, bend forward, hands on his desk so that our jeans were tight on our ass's and gave us each a whack that launched each of us half way over his desk. He explained that although he did not catch us doing anything all year, he just knew we had done something that deserved the spring steel ruler and that he was now keeping his promise from the beginning of the year. He was correct, and man of his word. We all had a lot of respect for that guy and his damed ruler, man that thing stung! The toughest guys in the class even had a tear in the corner of their eyes after getting that ruler.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
When people stopped diciplining children is when society began to loose respect for everyone including themselves. Our generation is who I would blame but it will take an entire new generation to correct it! I learned a lot of respect from the back of a hand or piece of oak!
There are some that have witnessed dicipline that bordered on abuse. It wasn't all constructive. I'm raising my kids in a kinder, gentler way and closely monitoring the situation. Over diciplining can lead to rebellious children. I hope to not have a kid like I was. I've swallowed a lot of aggression........along with a lot of pizzas. I'll lighten up now -Francis

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Well, I never got anything I didn't deserve.

I wonder if we could have jacked this thread any farther from the topic.

Bring me a shubbery!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts