Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone might have a pictire of the A.C. cannister installed in the 68 Cougar? I have fresh sheet metal in a lot of areas in the car and looks like they didn't stamp the holes for the A.C. can. I know it is in the passenger fender but not sure just where it goes. Wonder if O wouldn't be better off to just install this can under the hood, instead of cutting holes? Doesn't need to be a concourse installlation, just keep the air coming out of the right vents. :)
Photos and suggestions welcome!!
Charlie

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it is a hole about the size of a half dollar. I don't see the other holes for the mounting bolts. I am imagining they are to the sides of the mentioned hole to either side, rather than above and below? There is no hole in mine, guess that piece of sheet metal must have been replaced, is a factory air car.
Thanks for picture.
Charlie

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Look on the AC canister, the round gasket is larger than the hole just enough to seal it when it is bolted up. I can look tomorrow to see the location of the mounting holes if you want. I don't have mine installed right now. Haven't really done anything to her since she came home from the paint shop.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Some AC 68s (I had one) used a smaller version of the headlight canister (like the one under the driver's fender) on the inside engine compartment right under the passenger hood hinge. It had a middle strap with two studs that went through the hinge panel. Check for two holes about 1 inch apart.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look for those holes and see if that is how it was mounted. Right now the hoses are all run properly (kind of) they just took the cannister out of the loop and ran the hose staight off the intake manifold. Works fine unless you do anything that drops the vacuum, like step on the gas to accelerate. Going down the highway the air comes out of the proper vents but as soon as I go to pass someone and step on it, the air drops to the heater vents. Get off the gas and it is back to the right places again. Want to do it right and have it come out the right vents all the time. Have can on the way, just need a place to put it. Hope that is what they did, not big on cutting holes in the car if I can avoid it...
Charlie

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
DSC01251.jpg DSC01252.jpg Charlie, here are pics of the holes for the A/C cannister on my car. The 1st one is from inside of the engine compartment and 2nd one is from the opposite side. John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts