Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1861 - 1880 of 1886 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Top down = more drag actually. Bob I just finished reading this entire thread. Amazing work. I just made a deal on a 69 and haven't even brought it home to give it a good look yet. Its complete and I hope I don't have to go through what you have but I do have the shop and skills if needed.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,867
Thanks Max! Best of luck to you with the new acquisition!

Regards,

Robert

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,868
Hey! Remember this?:

Yes? Well, recognize this?:

More to follow as this developing story unfolds...

:buck:

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,869 (Edited)
Well, I have determined the practical torque limit for 28 spline axles!

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Re: Well, I have determined the practical torque limit for 28 spline axles!

That you have. Good thing you pulled that out now instead of after the final failure.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,871 (Edited)
My New (Small) Project

Okay, here's the next installment on my new small project. This is just a test fit, the shaft will be cut down to the desired length and then the threading process repeated for the knob. I chose to thread to 7/16"-20 for a couple of reasons: 1. No reducing of the nail diameter necessary (machining titanium is not easy!), it's the right diameter for threading to 7/16". 2. Epco (who makes the shift knob) has a 7/16"-20 reducer for the master thread they put in their knobs - and a "classic jam nut" (much like the nut Hurst uses on their knobs).

The titanium stock I'll use to make a mounting slab for the transmission stub will be arriving in the next day or two, then we'll see to getting the welding done to append it to the fat end of the nail (which will also be cut down - and at an angle for the desired trajectory).

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,872
Titanium shifter parts dropped off for welding this morning before work. The fab work on the titanium block was not easy but came out decent. Just cutting the nail down to the desired length and threading remains to be done when I get the piece back after welding. Will update again as things progress.

I'm preserving the ability to pass wires up the nail in case I want to have a line lock switch, a nitrous switch or maybe even an LED to subtly backlight light a shift knob (no immediate plans for any of these), having the wire passage will make such things possible without externally visible wiring.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,874 (Edited)
Well, she's all done (except for actually installing it, that will be fairly soon - but not yet)!

The owner of the shop (only person who knew Ti TIG welding) did an awesome job!:

Test fit a wire through the hollow shaft, preserved the capability by making sure the welding left a hole which led to the bore in the shaft. Line Lock Switch, NOS Switch, Backlit Shift Knob? Awesome!:

Cut to match the length of my current (also custom) Hurst shifter arm. Cutting the 7/8" of 7/16"-20 threads was an arduous task but it went well.

Looks a lot less substantial cut to length but I am very happy with the length and positioning of my shifter currently so I duplicated that.

Stock (rather than Ford for Hurst) shifter boot, polished off the anodizing on the nail, I think my little one-of-a-kind project turned out great! I feel that my goal of making something fun out of a horrible experience has been achieved.

Looking forward to "nailing second gear so hard I bend my femur rod", LOL Brian Carpenter!

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,875
You know, you can get a resin femur head to use as a shift knob. :)
Interesting thought but wouldn't that be too "knarly" looking for Isabel Andy?

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,877
Way too gnarly, and grisly. She's a classy lady, not a rat rod. I retract my poorly thought out suggestion. :)
No worries Andy, thanks for your continued interest!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Im a little partial to TI love the look. It looks like it was done right and not just slapped together. I would think the average person wouldn't know where is was :)

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,879 (Edited)
So here's one of my new axles, marked to monitor twisting.

And here's what I used to mark them (oil-based marker):

Marker worked well. Hope they don't twist!

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,880 (Edited)
Now THIS is a (mechancial) Fuel Pump!

McRobb Performance, good for 550HP (they make a 1000HP version too). Has provision for vapor return (not using). I have had the pump for a couple of years but never got around to installing it. Since I was working in the vicinity (water pump to timing cover leak), I took the plunge. Was able to reshape my (custom) 3/8" pump to carb line to fit (along with the selection of pipe fittings/adapters I chose which worked out perfectly!). With the 408C, I have had an intermittent (somewhat rare actually) stumble off of the line on occasion. Was using a stock pump. Thinking this is likely to solve that issue (stock pump with this engine is borderline/undersized).

1861 - 1880 of 1886 Posts