Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 1886 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
cougar2 said:
Art,
When you say that you have tooled the end of an 3/8 drill do you mean like a brad-point drill bit, flat cutting edge with out any angle?
Dennis
Think of a spade drill, flat cutting point.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have a good friend that builds furniture, does a beautiful job, basement full of expensive equipment and usually pays more for the material than you could buy a finished piece at the furniture store. He does it for satisfaction and enjoyment. I'm in awe at his patience and craftsmanship.

samo/samo

1969XR7Vert said:
Art,
When you go through all that, resign yourself to doing the work, spend inordinate amounts of time gearing up for it, buying tools, parts, etc..., basically becoming obsessed with it and the idea of renewing it and doing it right (frustrated design engineer with extreme focus and unfufilled/underchallenged/underutilized at work), would dropping the first mistake (the rusty car) and spending at least 2x again be the right way to go? And when I (at one time) had 3 Cougars sitting at a house on 1/2 acre in a development???

No, as much as I would love to buy a pristine (or a lot closer to pristine) version of this car, I was in too deep from the moment I bought the car in Va. It has character, it teaches me things, and I have the kind of drive such that I cannot be stopped.

AND, the cars name is Isabel, after the hurricane that blew up the Chesapeake Bay in September, 2003 and put water up to the convertible top, ultimately making her available to me. Now THAT is a story along with the Bronx Cat story, etc... that I cannot turn my back on. Neither can I turn my back on the love that the former owner had for the car, having been the second owner, memories, her children loved it too, husband hated it (sound familiar Juls?!). It is befitting that I do this, I have always made jewels out of turds and I have the knowhow (actually the sharpness to learn things on the fly and to do them in most cases as well or better than professionals.

Yes, it (and I) are crazy, but for me, it is more, much more than what appears crazy on the surface, it is the spice of life and my thirst for meaning in it that drives me.

Maybe this will sum it up:

In life, it is not always about arriving, the journey is the reward. In the case of Isabel, I am on one humdinger of a journey!!!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Art said:
I have a good friend that builds furniture, does a beautiful job, basement full of expensive equipment and usually pays more for the material than you could buy a finished piece at the furniture store. He does it for satisfaction and enjoyment. I'm in awe at his patience and craftsmanship.

samo/samo
I have a buddy like that as well. He skis & mtn bikes like a maniac - lots of fun to hang around with.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
1969XR7Vert said:
...In life, it is not always about arriving, the journey is the reward. In the case of Isabel, I am on one humdinger of a journey!!!

Regards,

Bob
The car will be amazing. A great color combo, backed up by a serious drivetrain & with an eye towards original details. I still have 3 years to talk Bob out of the Capri hoodscoop.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
C Gauch said:
The car will be amazing. A great color combo, backed up by a serious drivetrain & with an eye towards original details. I still have 3 years to talk Bob out of the Capri hoodscoop.
So Chris, is the 3 years a challenge to me to beat or to spur me on, just to prove you wrong? Or, do you feel confident in that prediction? If you do, I am not telling my wife, I'll end up divorced!!! :icon16:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
1969XR7Vert said:
So Chris, is the 3 years a challenge to me to beat or to spur me on, just to prove you wrong? Or, do you feel confident in that prediction? If you do, I am not telling my wife, I'll end up divorced!!! :icon16:
The real answer is "all of the above", + I can't resist a chance to break balls.

If you continue to make progress like you have recently, you might even make the '08 Nats.

I wonder which will be finished first: your car or my house?

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
C Gauch said:
...I still have 3 years to talk Bob out of the Capri hoodscoop.
Hey, with the 3 count 'em 3 hoods I have now, maybe I'll just have a hood for every occasion!

You forgot about the 'stang rear wing! But, there too, I have 2 count 'em 2 trunk lids...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a 70 Mach getting ready to do the same thing. It is still better than sending them to their death.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Could not have said it better myself! I guess we all need to find PERFECT CARS TO RESTORE! WTF? If a guy finds what he wants, and builds it at his own pace/budget, whats wrong with that? Who the hell is anyone to say it aint worth it? Get over yourselves....to each his/her own. Yeah I am a east coast idiot, and I have cut a 428 ram air 4 speed eliminator in half to fix it! Yeah its probably not worth it to some, but it works for me on price, and my own budget/ timeline. I dont have $100,000 or even $50,000 to buy a solid car and restore it the way I want. I know most guys want a real solid car to start with, but selection is limited. So do what you want with what you want, and everyone else can do something else. Geoff.

·
10,970 Posts
Geoff,

For sure if you have unlimited amounts of money, time and skill then please save a rust bucket Mach 1.

However, many of us have a wish to be able to enjoy driving our cars in our lifetimes and can't see the reasoning behind rescuing a pile of rot instead of using the nice parts from your rotten example to fix a more worthy candidate in less time for less money.

There are no perfect things in life, but there are wise decisions and unwise decisions. Use your time wisely. You only get a certain amount, and you cannot be certain what that amount might be.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree Royce, there are wise choices, and not so wise choices. The mach one is not mine, I was quoting another members post. All I am saying is dont be to quick to judge another person on what or how they restore something. Not everyone is as well off as others. Are time here is definately limited, I agree on not wasting time on junk, but if it was gte, how would you feel? What about the red gte promo rust bucket? Not worth the time for sure, but someone rebodied/rebuilt/fixed the rust. Geoff.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Royce Peterson said:
However, many of us have a wish to be able to enjoy driving our cars in our lifetimes...
I think the point you might be missing (or at least are not acknowledging) is that some of us enjoy creating our cars in our lifetimes more (or as much) as driving them. The greater the degree of difficulty, the greater the satisfaction and validation if the final product is every bit as nice as something built from a "choice" platform. The reason I have a less than "choice" platform I have described in gory and passionate detail (which was not acknowledged either).

If that is the way someone wants to spend their time, who is to say theirs or yours is a lifetime better spent (and even if it is not a rare car)??

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess some poeple will prefer the new challenger to the old one,and some prefer 6 cyl mustangs cloned into mach1s,and probably those same poeple prefer silicone dds to reality too.There is pride in workmanship involved in restoring a lump of iron that the purchaser of a 69 baldwin-motion z28 will never know.simply paying for restoration does not a restorer make.

·
10,970 Posts
I do not try and say right or wrong. I am only selling cheaper, faster and better. A rust free never repaired vehicle for less money and time makes me happy. If you think you are happy then you probably are.

For sure if the vehicle was very desirable and valuable enough for the work to be financially a sound idea then the time expenditure would make more sense. But in this case we are (still) talking about a fairly easy example to find as a no rust project for the kind of money anyone could afford.

1969XR7Vert said:
I think the point you might be missing (or at least are not acknowledging) is that some of us enjoy creating our cars in our lifetimes more (or as much) as driving them. The greater the degree of difficulty, the greater the satisfaction and validation if the final product is every bit as nice as something built from a "choice" platform. The reason I have a less than "choice" platform I have described in gory and passionate detail (which was not acknowledged either).

If that is the way someone wants to spend their time, who is to say theirs or yours is a lifetime better spent (and even if it is not a rare car)??

·
Registered
906 Posts
You know, the real horror about your car isn't the floors, its the door panels! I hate it when previous owners ruin them by putting in screws and cutting speaker pods into the doors.

We restored our 69 XR7 california car for 1/2 of the money then the 69 XR7 florida convertible we did before, and the hardtop was much nicer when done. It could also be driven throughout the whole resto. However, there's something to be said about raising a rustbucket from the dead, a feeling of pride that you can't put a $ sign on so easily.

To each his own.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
As the little mouse said to the big cat, "me too".
I believe in the restoration process. No matter how bad.
First, I beleive "all" Cougars should be restored. Save every last one of them. Remember, they aren't making them any more. And Cougars are more important than Mustangs but people are saving every Mustang they find. So too should every Cougar be saved.
Secondly, there is something about making a car really yours. The more blood, sweat, and tears you have invested in your "classic cat", the more it means to you. The more it is really yours. I have spent hours on my cars and do as much of the work as I possibly can. Then when I show it or look at it with someone, there is a special pride that no one can touch. I didn't just buy it, or have someone else paint or fix it, no way, this is my car, my work, I did it myself.
I bet I have more money, work, and time invested in my 351W Cougars than some people have in their "high dollar' cats but hey, they are labor's of love and I did them myself.
As a wise man once said, "the journey is more rewarding than the destination"..!

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Royce Peterson said:
I do not try and say right or wrong. I am only selling cheaper, faster and better. A rust free never repaired vehicle for less money and time makes me happy. If you think you are happy then you probably are...
Okay, would I have done this differently if I could start over? Probably. Would I have liked to have a cheaper, faster, better platform to start with? Sure. Will I ever do othis type of thing again? Not likely. Going down this road, is/will it be worth it? For me, yes. Is it enhancing my knowledge, challenging me and given me a profound sense of accomplishment along the way? Hell Yes.

Am I happy? Yes? ;-) Would a rust free, never repaired vehicle for less money and time make me happier?? Hard to say. Nothing in my life that I ever wanted a lot has been easy. If it were easy, I have a feeling that it would not mean as much to me. To me, my way imparts part of your soul into the project, you leave indelible signs that you were there and you made it what it is. Finding something that is already nice is great and I appreciate cars like that, but what means something to me personally is to see the almost unbelievable transformation that is possible at the hands of someone who simply wants it bad enough and who will go to whatever length required to make it happen, that's what's different.

To borrow an idea from President Kennedy, I guess what I am saying is I do these things not because they are easy, I do them because they are hard.

That is a totally different thing than the cheaper, faster, better mentality.

However, as Drop' says, to each their own.

Bob

PS Firewall extensions fully welded in this pm, HT full floorpan prep begins tomorrow pm (thanks work summer picnic I will not attend but will take the time off to work on said car, thank you very much!!)

PPS who would have thought, most finesse in welding is these pesky sheet metal plug welds, so easy to blow holes in and have cursing ensue. Funny though, PS (second) always better than DS (first) weld-wise. Go back and touch up a DS weld? CRAP!!! Lay beads like a professional on the PS, no sweat!! No justice in this world I tell ya, no justice...

·
Registered
666 Posts
ECI Theme Song

OK OK Yes I have been out of commission for a while but I'm back.......great thread here eh? While I was reading this I found this little lyric in my head that you need to put into the Blues Brothers version of "RAWHIDE" OK OK here is "THE EAST COAST IDIOT ANTHEM"

TOW EM HOME, PUSH EM IN, WELD EM UP, DRIVE EM OUT
...................R...A.....W.....H......I.....D......E.....................

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
mercinary said:
OK OK Yes I have been out of commission for a while but I'm back.......great thread here eh? While I was reading this I found this little lyric in my head that you need to put into the Blues Brothers version of "RAWHIDE" OK OK here is "THE EAST COAST IDIOT ANTHEM"

...................R...A.....W.....H......I.....D......E.....................
Ok now I got the Purr~fect song to blast thru my Stereo :ylsup:
In "Elwood" My 69 XR7 Convertible! :D
Not all the Cougar's in California are Purrfect either:cyclops:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
1969XR7Vert said:
...Nothing in my life that I ever wanted a lot has been easy. If it were easy, I have a feeling that it would not mean as much to me...

I do these things not because they are easy, I do them because they are hard.
Amen, brother Bob.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I can see both sides of this discussion. A rust free car would be much easier, faster and probably cheaper but sometimes an ECI has to do what an ECI has to do. Yes, I have been and ECI before too.

41 - 60 of 1886 Posts