Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am still up in the air of wether to get the 67(since i have yet to see it, or the 71(located in Cali) I just recieved pics from when Dennis went to look at it and well wow!
I am seriously considering this now:)
Look at this:

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And a side shot, not the best looking combo i ahve seen but wait whats that i see...oh thats what a rear 1/4 looks like...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
clean cat, looks original though. Succes

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is all original 428cj, except the paint:) Been painted twice. It does have a damaged right fender but it's not really a big thing and i know i can fix it without to much fuss..lol
John,
Thanks i really appreciate your help and thos words:) It dos need interior work, but if she hold it till i get my settlement, then...well i have a complete parts car;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
428cj????!!!!!

GRAB IT!!!! It's much rarer than the 67 and looks much better in my opinion.:D ....and it is red!:p:
How much?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol sorry about that...lol I need to not reply at 7 am. Its a 351C 2v ...lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
That looks like a pretty nice cat, I love the red on white combo. It looks clean. I say this would be a better bang for your buck, you can use all the stuff from your current cougar to modify this one.

Tad.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) good point...heres the other reason i am considering this one...she is willing to send it to me with only a deposit and transport money....so instead of 3000.00. It will be 1425.00

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My FirstCat (1972 Standard) looked like a twin to the one you're considering. I do love that color combo! Bright red car, full white vinyl top, white inerior with black carpet, dash, and console. Mine wan't an XR-7 though. Only had it one year, summer 76 to summer 77. That's the one that started it all for me...

Lose that big body side molding and put the triple factory lower white pinstripe on it and it would be about perfect. Then there's those wheelcovers... Then you could use all of your performance goodies you already have... :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Dave

I got it on my desktop now.;)

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Dave, it's time for me to jump in with an opinion. Should you go ahead and get this red one, why not get a one-way plane ticket to go and get it, and DRIVE IT BACK!?!?

It sounds like you are in a position right now where you aren't tied to work or anyone else for that matter. I would jump at the chance to make a cross-country drive like that. You may not get another chance to do something like this once life gets more hectic and busier for you. You could do your own Power Tour and write a daily journal and post it for all of us to enjoy the trip with you.

Though not as far, I did this from Dallas to Cleveland with a car I bought to use everyday. But it wasn't anything like doing it in a classic. If it happens to give you a little bit of mechanical trouble, that's just more info for the journal and more fun for the trip. There's a lot of beautiful country to see out there.

Just something else to think about as if you didn't have enough...

Mark

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark,
Not a bad idea but here's the thing. Car has 154,00o on it and while Dennis says it drove good he did not get to drive it on the freeway. It needs u-joints...not really a big deal but something to consider, also a 3k trip across country would wear some of the newer parts a bit and well i also have to come up with enough cash for hotles and gas and food.
It's not completely out of the question just a bit inpractical at this point from a finacial viewpoint:)
I will let you all nkow what i decide!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mark's right. I flew out to SLC to bring my 69 home. One way airfare on Southwest was cheaper than transport, even with the gas - paid 1.80 in Wyoming, in 2000 - and motels. I left SLC Monday at noon and was in my front yard Thursday at 3 pm. Brought the wife along and we had a blast!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Yeah Dave,
( I have been telling him this for 3 weeks.)
Go discover the great land between me and you. Hell this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Back in '91 my wife and I were on a vacation to visit my folks out in Phoenix. At a ma and pa used car lot, there sat a 77 Country Squire wagon. My 78 wagon (my winter beater/tow vehicle) was getting quite soft (frame was going south) so I looked at the 77 a little closer. 460, C-6, four wheel disc brakes(!), 3.00 posi, and original paint. Absolutely no rust at all. All this for $650. We bought the car, I sent the wife home by air (her g-mother had fallen and broken her hip) and I prepared the new wagon for the trip home. I put on a new fuel pump (leaking), put in a heater core (bypassed) and replaced the belts and hoses, did an oil change and I was off. 2200 miles and three days (two nites) later I was home.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I used to drive btween TX and NH in my old 69, then my 68. I could have flown but there's nothing like driving long distance in a classic. Every classic car owner should do it at least once.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts