Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a flea market this morning and picked up this welding rig for 75 bucks. Problem is I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I've never welded before. I only welded a line about 18" long, and the tanks ran out of gas! Went and refilled them, and tried again. This time I only got a bead around 2 feet long and ran out of gas again! Before I go run out again for more gas, could someone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
They are only about 2 inches tall? Wont hold much gas with that size.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^ LOL everybody like a cute one...but nobody likes a smart one! :evil:

It's been a long time since I did the gas welding, but you need to have the pressure set a bit different on each tank to start off with. I can't remeber which was what but it wasn't much - like 6 lbs/3 lbs I think,,,? Enough so that when you light it up you have a nice blue flame and clean burning. You should be able to weld quite awhile on those I would think.

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ LOL everybody like a cute one...but nobody likes a smart one! :evil:

It's been a long time since I did the gas welding, but you need to have the pressure set a bit different on each tank to start off with. I can't remeber which was what but it wasn't much - like 6 lbs/3 lbs I think,,,? Enough so that when you light it up you have a nice blue flame and clean burning. You should be able to weld quite awhile on those I would think.
That's what I would think too...my neighbor down the street, ol' Shorty, has been a welder for years. He's the one that tipped me off on this deal.... He is coming over in a few minutes to take a look. Dude's about eighty but he still is out in the yard bangin' metal most days.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shorty takes a look.

Yeah-- talk about scrappy! Ol Shorty came down to take a look. He thinks the problem might be in the gauge fitting, that there is a small leak that gets worse when you turn the handle. He even tried swapping out one of his own tanks to test it. You know his advice to me??? "Kick it!!" Yeah, sounds nuts, but he says that a good swift kick on the gauge will probably fix it. Before I even get a chance to question him, the old guy jumps up and gives a karate kick to the gauge!!! What the ---?!?!:eek2: Dude cracks me up...LOL. My wife snapped a shot with her cellphone but unfortunately she had to leave. I will post a pic after she gets home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Now, you all be careful talking about us OLD GUYS. There's a good chance you will be there SOONER THAN YOU THINK, hehehe.

Seems like just yesterday I was a teenager. I applied for a job when I was 15, and the fellow said, "why should I hire you, is it that I should hire you while you are a teenager and STILL KNOW EVERYTHING?"

Dale in Indy

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I went to a flea market this morning and picked up this welding rig for 75 bucks. Problem is I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I've never welded before. I only welded a line about 18" long, and the tanks ran out of gas! Went and refilled them, and tried again. This time I only got a bead around 2 feet long and ran out of gas again! Before I go run out again for more gas, could someone tell me what's wrong with this picture?
Sunroof69, You probably have a bad regulator. There are two parts that can go bad, the diaphram and the seat. If the flexable tube inside is broken it will leak. Since you got the outfit for a good price take the guages and have them checked. The gas should have lasted for hours.
Be Safe! I'd hate to hear someone say " He blew up". If the guage was cold it's leaking.

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Video of Shorty's Karate Kick!

Wow. Would you believe ol' Shorty's flying karate kick actually worked??! Now its working just like Shorty said it would... And to top it off-- my wife is now home and she didn't just get a snapshot-- she got VIDEO!

Check out ol' Shorty's crazy kick here-- the guy's amazing!
Shorty Fixes with one Kick

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehehe & thanks...

It turns out that the problem was my tanks were only about 8" tall! Thanks, all for checking out this silly April Fools Day gag and indulging my twisted sense of humor. :evil: And good eye, '70Fastcat!! The torch rig and Shorty are in fact miniature props built by a friend of mine for a multimedia project.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL --- Nice prop! Fooled me - but then it doesn't take much anyway <sigh>

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
And you guys thought I was being a smart ass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts