Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather was good to me, yesterday it rained all day...taking the 390 in tomorrow for a 2K go through...I had to sell my 69 Charger to fund this beast...:( Oh well, the wife is pregnant as well, so only one hot rod grocery getter.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looks good.You might want to find a Jan issue of HOT ROD that has a 390 build up.I can e-mail you the parts they put in

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great...thanks....I'll look for that issue
Chris

·
Registered
794 Posts
looks like the hoist is about maxed out in that position. DId you get the motor out without lowering the car down?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I had to have the front wheels resting on about 4 inches of wood in order to get the legs of the hoist under the car, and I was able to clear the engine compartment without dropping the car back down...you can see how close the hoist was to the bumper (right up against it) with the hoist in the 1ton mark...I will probablly have to go to the 1/2 ton to get it back in (hook was a little farther forward than directly over the carb). I bought this cherry picker 3 weeks ago for 120 bucks....did me good!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Between all of my motorhead buddies we have three engine hoists. Several of our cars have had very limited ground clearance for the legs of the hoist. Over the years we have modified all of the hoists to 'low-rider' status by relocating the wheels. We welded brackets onto the legs so the wheels mount higher up. Now the actual leg of the hoist is only about 1/2" above the concrete.

A couple of the hoists had booms that were too short for our use. This is especially true on the long-nosed cars like 71-73 Mustangs. Heck, the front bumper on those sticks out over a foot in front the radiator support. On those hoists we welded on an extension to the lifting boom, then added a truss-like brace to the top of the boom to help it carry the increased load factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts