Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a picture of my 67. It's going to go to the Body shop soon and I'm trying to decide on a paint job for it. I have been considering painting it black with part of the front clip in Yellow then turning to flames where it meets the black. Kinda like the chevelle in the attached photo. Is there someone who has photoshop that could give me an idea how my 67 would look?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Flames on a cougar???????????:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL...Sure...It will Burn up the Road..... I know, I know Some people don't get into the flames thing and some do...Didn't say I would do it...But....HMMMMM:flamer:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or maybe....If someone has a better idea for a eye catching paint job, I'm open to suggestions.... It's already an ear catcher.:D

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Flame it ! hey its your car im all for rodding the car and making it your own. I am planning on doing my 68 int 4 type of green with flames as well as ghost flames on my 57 tbird. While your at it shave it and ad the pushouts.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I just saw a picture of a an old chevy truck, painted metallic blue with metallic silver flames, looks quite cool, I will see if I can find it and paste it, I would go for understated flames [that is if you simply Have to go for flames], I also like the ghost flames.
Here's a link to a 68 camaro with ghost flames
http://www.cars-on-line.com/68cam8525.html

·
Registered
889 Posts
good idea

Im thinking of doing the same.My cat is already black,they talked me out of that new ford green.Im going to start with white then into a yellow to orange/red.I may do a small peice on the hood scoop. Go for it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well speaking of paint job's someone on here quoted: Good paint job's aren't cheap and cheap paint job's aren't Good. WOW is there ever truth to that. Got my xr7-G back from it's estimate, It's going to be a color change from diamond blue to calypso coral. Mind you this a very clean California car, only two small dent's that only can be seen in the right sunlight. A little over $11,000 what do you think? He doe's beautiful work though, He painted my 69 Mach1 a few year's back..... Jon

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jon, is that color change going to be where the color actually shifts from blue to calypso. or just changing the color. If it's where the color actually shifts depending on the light and the angle your looking at it then I maybe could understand that price, but just changing the color. I have a family member that is going to do mine, so it will just be the cost of the paint and supplies. But you are so right about the diff's between a cheap paint job and a good one.

Anyway, does anyone have photoshop that could edit the photo for me so that I could have a better idea how it would look. I can picture it in my mind but sometimes in the minds eye it looks better than with the real thing. I am really leaning toward the black with yellow flames. Once I do get it done I will be sure and post pictures of the finished deal.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm 11 thousand eh? hefty price.. but im assuming that you are going to take the car in one piece.. they will disassemble it and remove the trim and such prior to spraying.. then after that im assuming very high quality materials such as DuPont, ( if they can get it ) Sikkens, Glasurit or Spies Hecker. painting all of the jambs and underhood and taking the interior out to do that...... then colorsanding and buffing it all after its done.... well, i can see how the price gets that high. for full bodywork and full paint its understandable as far as price. hell i know many shops that wont touch your car for less than 6K. those are the ones that do the bad ass work though. worth it. but for 11K he better be pulling that car apart very far.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
For $11,000 the car should be stripped to bare metal with new seam sealer, primed with self etching inside and out, good base coat block sanded and 5 or more clear. This should also deal with underside and engine compartment.

I have seen $40,000 jobs here but these included fabricating pannels for areas rusted away.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
5 coats of clear?? ouch... thats alot to me... they better buff 2 of those coats back off... hate to see an expensive job like that crack. keep in mind the primer and the sealers and the etching primer and that Mil thickness will add up fast. might have only 1 paint job on it but might be as thick as 3......

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't know if prices are inflated out here compared to Hawaii... Check the pictures in My Gallery (the dark blue is the old color).
I think we can agree that my car is straight and sharp; that work was done in '95 with custom high-quality mixed black-with-purple-pearl paint (picture taken in '00 or '01). He replaced the passenger side roof (from the a-pillar to the quarter window, 8-10 inches into the roof), undid three previous body work jobs (two rear-end collisions and the removal of the vinyl top -- previous owner ground down the clips and Bondo'ed over them), and block sanded the entire car about 10 times....
I got the better end of the deal, there's no question, but I only paid $3000 (from Steve's Kustom Cars on Maui). Before we took it in, we removed all of the chrome and stuff (bumpers, headlights, etc) but it was complete enough to drive in (with my dad following -- no brake/taillights).
I'm gonna post a few in-work pictures...

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Photoshop Paint Job

Hey there 69 Cat....I can give it a go for you if you like. :D I need you to send me the pic though.... send it to [email protected]

It will be a couple of days before I can look at it but I can see what I can do for you.

Dale

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Photoshop Paint Job

Hey 69KAT.....the nice thing about photoshop paint jobs is they dry real fast :D

I pulled your image from the Gallery and decided I had nothing better to do tonight so I came up with a few variations for you. Let me know what you think.....:rolleyes:

Black with the Yellow/Orange Flames

Charcoal with an attempt at Ghost Flames

And my favorite....Red with Yellow/Orange Flames

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flames

:what:
Dale, As per my e-mail, you picked up the photo of my son's 69. He was thinking of painting his grabber Blue, but when he see's those photos I am positive he is going to immediately change his mind. All those photos look great. I can't really decide. I hadn't thought of using Red and yellow. I also hadn't considered the Ghost flames either until 72Cat suggested it. D*** it now I can't decide. They all look great... At least on 69KatJr's Car (Kevin)...

I'm really considering opening this decision up to the site and letting all the members vote on their choice and going with that. Hey Rick, is that possible??? Could we do that? A Poll and let all the members weigh in???

Thanks a bunch! Ron

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nice job!!

The black with the orange red is great but im going to have them a little smaller.I think ending them about a foot before the hood scoop.I goota learn to do that on the computer.I have a coral draw and paint II.I down loaded it and thats about as far as I got.Maybe this winter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts