Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Racing season keeps me too busy to be on here much, but some of you probably remember me.....especially modified mark. Anyways, I have a 68 XR7 and am just getting started on restoration of my 68 XR7G......
In my racing, we travel quite often and so lots of times there might already be a number 7 in attendance, which usually means putting an X in duct tape behind number. So this year I had my graphics people make up XR7 decals from the ones on a 68 XR7. They got the XR perfect but the 7 is a little off. The roof is white so it has a decal that is exact....chrome borders and black 7.
I also had them make decals for rear of car that simulates the 67-68 taillights. They used red mirror and chrome for grilles. They look better in person than in photo but thought you might like to see them. Anyways, I put a few photos in gallery section. Hope you like them.....Keith
p.s.- I tried putting one of these with that survey for mustang and fords but it wouldn't let me.........

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Keith, It looks good!! (for now LOL). Now did you get rid of the generic power plant yet? LOL! Every time I turn around another Ford powered car is kicking tail in the UMP late models, maybe some hand me down parts are around now??

As you know I work for quite a few different contractors each year and the guy I started for yesterday has 4 ump mods of his own right now!! He left this afternoon for some big show in Fairbury Ill.

Maybe he will need me to help drive one instead of his semi's??? mm

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark......no ford power...Yet!

Mark,
I have a great relationship with my engine builder and I am working on them for a ford engine starting next year......we'll see.
The motor I run now is a 368 chevy that dynos at 752 horsepower, so I'm on a level field with most late model engines in UMP. Heck the suspensions are the same in the rear as late models.
What's the guys name with 4 modifieds? I'm not going to fairbury but I've probably raced against him. Your comment on the car looking good was funny, but strangely enough I've run two nights with that body on it and so far so good......not a scratch.
Talk to you later.......Keith

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for compliment.......the decals in these photos vary......on the sides are a blue-mirror number 7 with XR being in white, but on the white roof and for when I use white bodysides I have the black seven with chrome borders and chrome XR just as the original roof emblem on a 68 XR7.........Even on the taillight decals the red is a mirror red with chrome and so they look pretty much like a 67-68 taillight..........Keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
Odds?

What are the odds of 2 guys running the #7 on their UMP modified that are also the owners of a 68 Cougar?

We were rained out this past saturday so I had time to post a pre-track photo of my latest chassis. Hope we dont have too many rain outs as the season is almost over.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
United Midwest Promoters. Yes but you will also find the same type of cars running on asphalt tracks all over the country.

Keith, You ever hear of Tony Rollin? # 00. Thats the guy I've been working for lately.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,
Yes, I've heard of Tony Rollin but don't remember where, I've probably raced him sometime somewhere. Unfortunately, last weekend I had a pretty hard wreck, and have had to miss work a few days this week as I guess my neck got stretched too far in the impact. Anyways, I hope to be back out soon.
drShelby.......did you say you race UMP modifieds with a number 7, and own a 68 cougar? Post some pictures if you get time. I'll check in again soon........Keith

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Keith, hope your doing better after the crash! You going to Springfield to the mile this month? (might be this weekend after I thought about it!) You can really crash hard there!LOL I know I did:D :D :D . These street and drag racers dont know what speed is till you been on the dirt mile trying to turn left at about 140 mph on dirt with 8" wide tires. I had a bone broken in my back in a sportsman car years ago. Try driving a semi with one of those steel reinforced back braces.mm

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Springfield Mile........

Mark,
Fortunately, the rains came and cancelled all the big races this past weekend......the I-55 Mod Nationals I will attend since they rescheduled for sept. 28. The Mile at Springfield was rained out also and is going to be sept. 29.......I entered it awhile back, I love the mile tracks,especially Duquoin but will probably skip this year as I got a late start this year and financially it don't look good to do the mile races as you gotta buy special compound tires for those races to be competitive and you don't really use them anywhere else much. I don't run the Mile races for the money but for the prestige, but I don't have the extra to justify spending that this year. Duquoin will have more events next year as they redid the facility and put in high-dollar lighting to run some night events so that will be good, I went and watched a night event earlier this year and the track was faster than ever.
Talk to you later.......Keith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts