Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I finished the photochop of what I want my 70 Cougar XR-7 to look like. I already have the wheels, Boss 429 hood scoop, front and rear spoiler. We removed the vinyl top and the car is being sanded down to bare metal. The color is Mercedes Iridium Silver. The car below was light Ivy green so it was easy to make Silver and it had the same wheels that my car has except my rears are wider. My current interior is white leather and I will be dying it Mercedes Salsa Red. All the chrome will be black. Just wanted to get your thoughts on my design. Obviously you know I'm not going for any kind of correct restoration, I want a nice resto-mod. Oh and yes the stripes will be painted on. Let me know if I should change anything.

soclose3.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Change nothing, if the car makes YOU happy.
I'm not sure on the side stripe myself, that would have to grow on me I think.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think the bumpers would better white. MHO

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like it the way it is. That is an off white color leaning toward the grey side. Good job

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I like the color combo and the overall design approach. I'm also not sure about the width of the side stripe, but you could do it as a vinyl graphic first to see what it looks like for real.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
That silver on red is fetching.
The stripe might be too much, but I would do like he said ^ and do a vinyl test run.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would paint the mirrors and rear spoiler body color. The bottom line of the strip I would mimmick the top line on the rear quarter(curved slightly, not so straight). The red interior looks pretty good. Hey its your ride, if you likey, do it!! Oh, and rather than blacking out the chrome, what about "black chrome" on all the bright trim!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice chop. I would make the bumper match the body so the black grille pops. The mirror would look sweet with a black riser and a silver bullet. X2 on the rear stripe...The bottom line of the side stripe could follow the line of the upper fender to dramatize the shape.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Nice - like the red race seats and interior. You might want to run a couple more versions replacing the black with a few shades of argent or dark silver just to see how it looks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
EDIT - Oooops, Thought the original poster was Leon for a second... lol. Either way, it still stands that I like it lol.

I like the side stripe too, but how about dividing it horizontally with a 5-10mm stripe of the underlying body color? Lemme try and see how it 'chops out

Here goes the 'chops

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I really like the color combination. Not crazy normally about red interiors, but it really works with this. I like sixt9's ideas with the stripe. Wonder how the front of the stripe would look following the fender extension lines down to the bumper? Still taper it, but fully follow the extension lines all the way down. Also like the idea of going body color with the bumpers...........
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would paint the mirrors and rear spoiler body color. The bottom line of the strip I would mimmick the top line on the rear quarter(curved slightly, not so straight). The red interior looks pretty good. Hey its your ride, if you likey, do it!! Oh, and rather than blacking out the chrome, what about "black chrome" on all the bright trim!!
Trying to keep the cost down as much as possible and black chrome will probably cost as much as regular rechroming. Hence the painted bumpers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EDIT - Oooops, Thought the original poster was Leon for a second... lol. Either way, it still stands that I like it lol.

I like the side stripe too, but how about dividing it horizontally with a 5-10mm stripe of the underlying body color? Lemme try and see how it 'chops out

Here goes the 'chops

Thanks for the quick redesigns...I like the gray one my self. What do you think I should do with the center stripe on the hood? Same thing?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice - like the red race seats and interior. You might want to run a couple more versions replacing the black with a few shades of argent or dark silver just to see how it looks
I wanted to do that at first but I really want the stripes to match the wheels. None of the black will be flat. It'll all be covered under gloss clearcoat.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The side stripe being just a little gawdy for my liking, the red accents are suttle and look interesting.
I was kind of going for Eliminator stripes except custom. I felt like I needed it to be a little more bold. Here's the before and after of my chop.

Before and After:
Before and After.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
leave the center stripe as is. lose the side stripe (makes it look out dated IMO which isnt the them u are obviously going for).

paint the bumpers BODY color so they don't look like they have been replaced after a wreck and just not painted yet. mirrors too. leave the grille black and ws trim and all the rest of the bright work, black.

love the silver tho.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just another thought: How about leaving the Eliminator style stripes with the large top stripe in black and the bottom outline stripe in red? Can sort of picture it in my head. Of course this does come from a personal preference for the Eliminator stripes so...........:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts