Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the hood hinges on my 68 along with the caps on the shock towers were originally phosphate and oil. These were media blasted along with the car. Now how do I go about getting them back phosphate and oil?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Harv,

Most people paint the hinges natural (cast finish) that's what I did. But, you could also buy an Eastwood's blackening kit and brush the solution on until you get a dark finish like the original (the kit makes real phosphate with the acid solution). Then, spray with matte clear to duplicate the oil part (only better).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check with eastwood.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I painted mine with eastwoods detail gray spray paint after sand blasting and a light sand by hand with fine sand paper...this is how it turned out going the spray paint route...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Have you thought about PPG Metal prep (phosphoric acid) and then oil? Very nice finish.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know anything about the metal prep? will look that way too. Those pictures in detail grey look nice.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Have you thought about PPG Metal prep (phosphoric acid) and then oil? Very nice finish.
Think this might be the same as the Eastwood kit but I seem to recall their acid was not Phosphoric, some other acid. I have the metal prep solution as well, never though of using it to blacken stuff. The Eastwood kit works very well BTW.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob when you say blacken? The original hinges were a kinda a golden grey in color not quite bronze but not black?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yep, that's phosphate and oil. Eastwood calls their kit "blackening" IIRC.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K thanks, need to make up an order for them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I second the rec for Eastwoods blackening solution. I've used the kit to blacken tons of bolts and they look better than the fresh stuff I get from AMK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts