Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i was wondering if pete jackson cam gears are the way to go with a ford 302. so far the people i've talked to said that they've had no problems with a chain. unless they have rebuilt their motor or something like that.

so...

has anyone changed to pete jackson gears just for the noise that the gears produce?

Or is there an actual benefit from changing from a chain to gears?

- e-mail me if you have any thoughts on this. - [email protected]

-Dave

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
chains eventually stretch, which means they will do a number on keeping it timed. Gear drives wont stretch, even quiet ones are nosiey, but the thought of constant metal to metal is scarey too. Its a personal choice, and both have there pro's and con's I think.

and if you have a stock 302, why put a gear drive in it, its not really needed, a true roller is tons cheaper. If you have NOS or a rad motor, then it would be worth the extra expense, but not a daily driver, you'd get tired of the sound. My neighbours friend has gear drive in his Malibu, and I thought it was cool, until he drives around here at 2am and then it gets old. Thats just my take on it.

Rick

·
11,000 Posts
The gear drive takes more power to run. It is stronger than a chain for applications with very stiff valve springs on a roller cam with radical profile and a magneto ignition. For most any application without a magneto the chain or a belt drive are better choices overall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i thought about the sound being annoying after awhile. it is a stock 302 by the way. and probably the last thing my car needs is more heat.

on to my next question then,

what is the best electric fan to get to go in front of the radiator for a 1968 cougar? size? rpm?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts