Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a parts store in the Kansas City area that sells Pertronix Electronic igniton systems? i'd like to pick one up this weekend.

i read the article on TCCN about one on steve's cat, and a friend of mine put one on his '69 mustang with the same engine as me and said it made a good difference. anyone else have experience, good or bad, with these units? thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know Baxter Autoparts sells them and maybe even Pep Boys too. Do you have those stores in your area?

I'm also planning on equiping my car with something similar to the article at TCCN :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
My friend used to have the pertronix ignition on his 66 mustang. After putting it on, his car ran a lot smoother, but he later switched to MSD. I know that Kragens has these or schuckers or whatever it is where you live. - Chad

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Pertronix

Go for it!

I put one on my wife's 70 Mach 1, 351C-4V. Best thing we ever did! I really hate trying to adjust points, especially on a Ford. Hey, what can I say -- I grew up with V-8 GM products where you adjust points while the engine is running.

The deciding factor was when we drove her Mach to the big 30th anniversary Mustang bash in Charlotte back in '94. It drove great for the drive down there, but once there it gave us all sorts of point-related probs. Ever try to adjust points in a dark parking lot?

Anyway, the car runs great all the time now.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No, but I've done it in a dark race track pit with someone holding a flash light for me. Neither is the best situation. mm

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey - once my enigne was running really really ruff like a cylinder wasn't firing correctly, and I had just put new MSD 8.5's on the day before so I thought maybe I did something wrong so, with the car running in the pouring rain I hopped out of my car and while soaking wet I decided it would be a good idea to make sure the wires were all on nice and snug, so I slammed my hand down on top of the wires on the distributor cap, and got the worst shock of my life! - Still wasn't running right, so I did it again! Ouch. There was a loose wire but then I heard a sucking noise through the pounding of the rain and realized it was mostly just a vacuum leak. - Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try CarQuest Parts stores and ask them if they use the Arrow Speed Warehouse. I use carquest in tongie and I order a bunch of stuff through them at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
So What your saying is that electronocis the way to go? I still have points but then I'm a stock-o-bop kind of guy. But then again........ You can'y tsee them ....Can you...; )

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Man I need A NEW keyboard!!!!!!!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Pertronix

The only tell-tale sign that you have the Pertronix kit in there is now you will have two wires going into the bottom of the distributor instead of one. Everything else is under the stock distributor cap.

MM, You mean you had a flashlight? ...And someone to hold it for you? :p ;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah, I had a flashlight, but the batterys were half dead and the guy holding it was drunk.mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts