Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas. Long time no post, but kids will do that to ya. Now that they've grown a little, its back to work on the cat. I've got a '70 standard 351c 2v , and I think I'm gonna bump her up to a 4bbl (new intake and carb) and while I'm at it, throw in a pertronix ignitor II ignition. Right now, I have to let the car warm up for like 5 - 10 minutes so it won't sputter and stall once i hit the gas. QUESTION: should the new electronic ignition fix this prob? ALSO, does the timeing need to be checked after I do the install or does the pertronix take care of that.

Hey while I'm at it, lets open up another can of worms...edelbrok or holley? - thoughts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I prefer holley but you cant beat the edelbrock for everyday driving. I am just nestalgic for the holleys is all but my 69 has a edelbrock and it is reliable and a very good carb. If your sputtering though the problem sounds more like carberator and fuel not at the distributor if it is a good set of points and cap would fix the problem, but having the petronix is a great bonus i am running it in all my cars except the 68 which is motorless for the time being and sitting under a cover. I like the petronix for simplicity and origanl look and performance wise it works great but as to your problem i dont think your looking in the correct place.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Spluttering and stalling when cold is generally a fuel problem but could be exacerbated by timing or lousy spark. Petronix improves reliability and reduces maintenance over a longer period because it doesnt run out of adjustment like points.

Will be installing Petronix on 428 some time this week - now that the auto choke conversion is completed and I have eliminated my similar cold start problems

You do need to recheck the timing after Petronix is installed

·
11,000 Posts
Remember carburetors never will work as well as modern fuel injection. We, me included. have gotten spoiled by the cold driveability of FI equipped vehicles. Even a perfect carburetor needs to warm for 10 seconds or so. It must replace evaporated fuel and bring the float up to proper level too.

I like Holley carbs better but either Holley or Edelbrock are sound choices on a 351. The Pertronix won't give much advantage over a new set of points but will never go out of tune. I run them on my cars and like them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
An ignitor will work no better than a set of new, properly set points. But it will be much better than old points!

I've done the swap on my 'stang, and it's pretty easy, although you do have to bypass the resistance wire because the Ignitor needs 12V.

Since you're not concerned with staying stock, you might also consider adding a new 12V coil. The Flamethrower from Pertronix is a good one, and works well with the Ignitor. A hotter coil will allow you to increase the gap on your spark plugs and get better performance and mileage.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts