Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67' with a 351C and C6 drive-train that is very aggressive towards the soft factory style rubber mounts. I'd like to find the performance mounts for both so I can stiffen up the motor flex when revved past 3000 rpms. The flex is so intense it took the car from park to reverse which was the straw that broke the camel's back. It definitely woke me up! Also if the motor mounts were to break it'd be bye bye hood at best. I've seen what mustangsunlimited has to offer but prefer to avoid them as my past experiences haven't been satisfactory. The motor mounts that I did like were the ones with the steel reinforcements that protect against any broken mounts from separation. Thanks again mc.net

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, the stiffy is a more elegant solution than chaining down the engine.
If it were mine, I'd just have solid steel mounts in it and be done with it.
You're also going to need some chassis work if you haven't already done it. That torsional energy will go somewhere when you get the engine steadied.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've put the sub-frame connectors on (welded) and the additional monte-carlo bar and solid export brace. Would the solid motor mounts hurt the car as far as "comfort" is concerned? In other words, would it vibrate like a rattle box if I went solid mounts or would the poly-urethanes be a good idea as far as having stability and knowledge I won't send the clevo through hood and have a more "absorbed" ride? At this point I am all about the correct the answer, not the sugar coated ads in the racing or ford magazines... lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, hard to tell by the pic but does the summit racing version offer the steel "sleeve" that overlaps the polyurethane in case of separation so the mounts do not come apart thus destroying the hood or more. I definitely like the summit version though not just because of the price but also because of the added trans mount as well. Thank you all for your valued opinions :)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts