Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I could find a set of performance (not oem) leaf springs for my '67 Cougar?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm about to put on my leafs from ESPO this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. The price for the springs and all hardware was GREAT, and the phone service was good too. The parts got here in less than 7 days, even with them adding an inch above stock. If I'm happy, the front contol arms will be ordered next. I'll try to post a pic on monday

·
Registered
794 Posts
I just got done with front suspension, rear is next. Let us know how you like the springs jebbster. Post pics if you can. I would like to see what the +1" looks like. Its hard to imagine, cus my stockers must sag a bit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ok, I was going to post a before and after, but thanks to murphy and his damn law, I'm still in the "woring on" phase. The car is still up on jacks in the garage. the back bushings and bolt came off easy. The u-bolts needed to be sawed, and the front eye bolt WILL NOT BUDGE!!! I hammered and tugged at that thing for 3 hours yesterday, and just spent 2 hours this morning trying to saw the mo^#$r [email protected]*er!! off!! I think the thing has welded itself to the bushing. Any thoughts on removal would be appreciated. I don't really have access to a tourch.:angryfi:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminium foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of
Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

This was sent to me awhile ago by someone in the USA, would be interesting to find out it No 6 works, and No 4, I know No 5 does.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Take a sawsall and cut the bolt along both sides of the spring. That is if you have a sawsall. If its rusted to the bushing that bad its either that or a torch. mm

·
Registered
78 Posts
Day 4 :
4 Blades later on the SawZall and 1/2 way through the bolt. I'll let ya know when I'm done. Old projection finish date : Last Sunday. New date: This Sunday:mad:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thats the way to stick with it!!! I never said it would be easy, just that it would get the job done. :) mm

·
Registered
78 Posts
OH well, passenger side done:D and, of course, driverside eye bolt popped right out. Now having a prob w/rear shackle. Oh well, its either do this, in the wonderful heatwave, or go inside to the AC and watch Oprah:eek2: (No thanks) Hey, CrazyCat where did you get the parts for the front work, and what did you do?

Here's a rundown of the ESPO stuff I used:
2 Leaf Springs $120.00
2 End Bolts $4.00
2 Shackle kits $ 30.00
4 U-bolts $12.00
4 Axle Pads $20.00
1" overstock $30.00
total w\shipping and tax:$256.22
Parts went on very easy and everything looks great. Pics soon to follow!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts