Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the interest of safety and modernization, I need to mount a passenger's side mirror on my cat before I do any serious amount of driving out here in LA (I need the extra mirror to dodge the crazies... or because I'm crazy?). I've seen a left hand mirror in the Paddock (Mustang parts) catalog that looks a lot like the stock driver's side remote mirror; has anyone done this or does anyone have a better replacement? And is there a better rear-view mirror (the windshield mounted one) that still looks roughly stock (from a later model, maybe)?

·
11,000 Posts
The Mustang right (passenger side) mirror won't fit. There never was a Cougar right side mirror in 1967 - 68 although it was a listed option, none were ever produced.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bruter- that is exactly what I am doing now. I got a pair of the bullet mirrors and am machining L & R bases for them similar to the original drivers side mirror.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the bullet mirror are not remote-adjustable, right? (not like I use it anyway, it's easier to just push the thing by hand)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
someone was saying on this or the yahoo groups about using a pinto mirror will work, but the details are fuzzy on what they put it on 67-8 or 69 70. maybe someone else may recal it.

·
11,000 Posts
Bullet mirrors

The XR7-G used a bullet shaped mirror and it was inside adjustable just like the standard Cougar. These mirrors were and are made by Talbot Co. Current versions are available I think the url is www.aardvarkintl.com

Only catch is the XR7-G has a machined adapter between the mirror and the body that is not to my knowledge currently available. Several XR7-G enthusiasts have threatened to make some reproduction mirror base adapters but as far as I know it has not happened.

Interestingly enough the AMC SC/Rambler of 1969 and the Hurst / Olds of 1968 - 69 used the same mirror as the XR7-G and had both left and right mirrors with only the left being remote adjustable. Several XR7-G's have become the recipient of a right side mirror but none were factory installed.

More info on the XR7-G is available at:
www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/xr7g
:chain: :chain: :chain: :chain: :chain: :chain: :chain: :chain: :chain: :chain:

·
Registered
123 Posts
BTW - the racing style mirror set from a 69-70 Torino are remote (drivers side) and will work if you mount them on the 45* portion of the door. I brought a pair and did not like the look, so I sold them. I am finding that the base adapters Royce spoke of are not that hard to duplicate and I do not mind giving up the remote. Pics to follow when the project is complete.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That link to the current supplier of bullet mirrors didn't work for me. I think that would be the only passenger side mirror I would consider for my Cat. It's totally uncommon to see a car with a fender mounted mirror. When commented upon you could relate Mercury Cougar's Trans Am racing heritage since I believe that is the reason for fender mounting...Being able to see to the side while still keeping your eyeballs straight ahead...John

·
11,000 Posts
That Ebay auction was a ripoff!

http://www.talbotco.com/ is the correct link for Talbot mirrors from Aardvark International.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
cougarguy, I think your talking about the rh mirror for the 69-70. They use the mirror head from a pinto or several other fords and Kens cougars has a special base like the 70's that you use with the pinto mirror head. mm

·
Registered
88 Posts
Calcat, Are you machining the base mounts yourself? I am planning to put a set of "Bullet" style mirrors on my 67 also. If you are machining the mounts yourself, would you be interested in making a second pair? :1poke: I would be more than happy to purchase a set from you...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Calcat, Are you machining the base mounts yourself? I am planning to put a set of "Bullet" style mirrors on my 67 also. If you are machining the mounts yourself, would you be interested in making a second pair? :1poke: I would be more than happy to purchase a set from you...

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i was at a show this weekend guy had a 68 cat very nice one been in the area and we have talked at a couple of shows. anyways he is running 63 falcon mirrors on both sides. they look nice bolt right in and are round not the origanal square but the installation looks decent so may be something to look at. course they were not adjustable.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
mark your right thats what i was thinking here is a picture of the 68 this weekend with the falcon mirrors.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts