Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just tore in to the driver side floor and torque box, for replacment. peeked at the passenger side, and NO TORQUE BOX! doesn't look like there was ever one there either. I see RH torque boxes in parts catalogs for 67-70 models, mine is a 67...did they have RH torque boxes that year? or are they sold just to "beef up" the structure?
bmaker

·
11,000 Posts
Only big blocks had passenger side torque boxes in '67. In '68-70 all Cougars had torque boxes on both sides.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was looking for my torque boxes , but I couldn´t find it at the right side. I tought something was wrong but now I understand how it is Thanks boilermaker and Royce Peterson
Tommy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have got to figure out what is up with my car! it's got all the goodies for the GT and big block options, except the right side torque box which supposedly is supposed to be there! it's got the quick ratio steering, brakes and larger stabilizer bar of the GT, heavy springs for the heavier engine...everything on the Marti Report matches up to what should be there, but now I am finding out that the car should have a right side torque box and doesn't!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of 60's quality control. If it was never there and your going to show it , don't add it. I your not going to show and it bothers you that its not there and your doing the floors anyway then add it. But if it was never there, don't panic. A lot of stuff got by QC in those days....

Bruce

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
60s (and 70s) quality control

Bruce (gt390xr7),

Boy you got that right! My wife's 70 Mach 1 is full of factory flaws that should have been caught upon inspection. At the big 30th anniversary Mustang show in Charlotte, many were pointing out the flaws in the paint. They couldn't believe me when I told them that all but the pass fender and door were factory paint. Her car has:
1. A gob of painted-over seam sealer in the trunk channel at the top right below the rear window. This is very visible with the deck lid closed.
2. Sag in the paint on the driver's side quarter panel extension.
3. One of the stick-on letters (the 'A' in the Mach 1) on the back of the decklid was 1/8" lower than the other letters.
4. Masking error around trunk lock (should be solid dark argent (charcoal) to match rear honeycomb, but has some Calypso Coral body color overspray)
5. Another masking error on the rear body panel behind rear bumper. Should be all body color, but they must have left a piece of masking tape on after painting dark argent and it never got painted properly. 3/4" wide dark argent vertical paint stripe is very evident. Looks really bad/amateurish.
6. Run in paint on firewall. Funny thing is the car would have to be upside down for us to get a run like that!

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Quality was not job 1 back then!

Milo

·
Registered
885 Posts
You should see the flaws in the paint job I just paid for! My painter thinks rubbing compound can remove all of his sins. It can't, of course. I keep finding more and more flaws. I just found another I missed when I retrieved the car from him. It looks like he rubbed one place with steel wool, and "forgot" to polish it out.

Steve C.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
keep in mind it may have been in a wreck which can happen in 30 plus years and when someone repaired it, it may have been left out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts