Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, firstly a big Hi from me over in sunny old England :)

I am new to this forum and also new to owning one of these big ole cats (1971 XR7 convertible)
I am trying to remove the passenger side front fender. I have all the bolts out apart from what appears to be 4 bolts remaining behind the headlamp/turn signal housing assembly. Do I need to remove this and if so, how? And does the bumper need to come off too?

Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
91 Posts
As far as I remember doing this 30 years ago the bumper is the first thing that needs to removed then the stone deflector(spacer) under the headlight housing, is bolted to the housing underneath. Part of the housing is bolted to the fender and other extensions behind the housing.on both ends of the housing, you can try to see if you can unbolt the stone deflector without taking the bumper off but I really think it has to come off. I went and looked at my car just now and I think that will have to be the case. A lot of work especially if some of those bolts are rusted.

Roman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Roman. I finally managed to remove it last night. I left the bumber on as so many bolts were seized on and removed the bolts from the stone deflector strip. It was tight but I got there in the end. Just as a side note, I am doing this to gain access to the cowel panel as this has rusted through. Until I can afford a metal repair and do it correctly I am going to carry out a fibreglass repair. I will lose the fresh air function but The main thing is to stop any water getting in to the passenger compartment....it's a vert anyways! The drivers side was done in situ which wasnt too bad.

Cheers, Glen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts