Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 70 XR-7 351 Winsor auto trans an the passenger rear brake is sticking how would I go bout fixing it? I was told to get under it with a regular screwdriver an you can adjust it there without taking the wheel off an it is a quick fix is this right? The brake sticks real bad when you are moving the car at any speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its time to take the drum off and take a look. You could have a broken return spring, brake shoes falling apart or contaminated with brake fluid or gear oil for example. If everything looks OK it may be a hydraulic problem. Partially frozen wheel cylinder or restricted line or hose. If you can get the brake to stick on open the bleeder screw and see if the brake releases. If it does you have a hydraulic restriction.

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so if it is a hydraulic restriction how can I fix this an is there any way to open the brake up to were the brake can release enough to move the car an then fix the problem later on?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'll jump in here, there is a "slot" with a rubber plug (oval shaped) on the back side of the drum housing\rear end...remove the plug, and use a flashlight and look inside the drum thru the slot, you should be able to see a star shaped wheel, about an inch in diameter, this is your rear brake adjustment, it will turn either way when you reach thru the slot with a medium size flat screw driver, it connects to the adjustment lever, so you'll need to back off the tension on it to get the brake shoes to release. There will most likely be a ridge around the drum and you'll need to back it off enough to get the drum to pull off. You will know if you are turning the star wheel the right way, if the tire locks up, go the other direction with it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - what those guys said. once you get the drum off - look the the rubbers on the cylinder to see if they have been leaking. If not, you may want to bleed it to see if you clear the problem. Put the drum back on, have somebody pump and hold the brake, while you loosen the bleed screw and shoot out some (hopefully nice clear fluid) fluid with no air bubbles/spruting going on, tighten it back up, release the brake and pump it up another few times and hold it - repeat this at least 3 times. IF you can't pull the drum off after this - you may still be dealing with hydraulic problem. you will need to tear into the wheel cylinders and see if they are gunked up/stuck. May be time to just replace them.....I'd do all of them at this point, and run fresh fluid and flush the system. don't want any mal-functions on the brakes!! ;>) good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok adjusted the brake like you guys said with the bleeder screw an it worked the brake does not stick anymore. thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts