Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current is a tilt away setup that has not worked the 6 years i have owned the car. i dont mind it much, just that there is a broken joint within the tilting mechanism which does not allow me to put force towards the upper right corner of the steering wheel. I know these things are rare, does anyone know where i might find replacement parts for tilt-away columns? I had a look through WCCC and they seem to sell only complete units, though i have yet to send an email to them specifically.

I also have a suspesion that my faulty tilt-away causes my steering boxes to go out. When i got the car it was not bad at all, there was an incident where i pressed in the wrong spot while turning and it tilted away, a few pins fell out and it was pretty much all over the place(scary as F) this is when my slop began. the play in my steering column went from maybe 1/8th of a turn to 1/3rd maybe a little more.

i purchased a re manufactured box and it worked fine for a few months maybe a year, and the same thing happened to me again, and once again steering went to poo.

I pulled a non-tilt steering column and box out of a cougar in the junk yard so that i might figure out whats wrong with mine. are there any other parts that are specific to the tilt-away cars? as my assumption is that the wheels movement is causing damage to my steering boxes.

Thanks,
George

PS. my car was changed from auto to manual sometime in the 80's but the column is original.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We sell every part inside that column as a stand alone, here is the link. To save money you should keep your eye open for a good deal on a like year of tilt from a Thunderbird as the parts you seek are all interchangeable. As for the steering box, my assumption is you got a less than stellar rebuild, the ones we sell NEVER come back. Keep in mind we will take your left over bits and pieces from that T-Bird column in trade for a steering box. We found a complete column local on CL for $100 last month and the rag joint alone is worth that much! Also know that the worlds foremost leading authority on these columns is a member here and does full on restorations on these columns. His name is Steve and his user name is fastmerc.
<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1969 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Tilt - Tilt Away Column Knuckle Assembly - Used
(Click Here f

</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Woah, looks like i'll be using that standard comummn for a while...

And a specific rag joint is required?

And i guess if i send mine back it will be your first, allthough i assume the problem is elsewhere...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts