Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, does anybody have high pressure pwr steering hoses? i've got a leak in mine and i haven't had any luck with the auto parts store. i also don't have a mechanic anymore so it's kinda hard.
any kind of help would be so awesome. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
GIRL,
try johns classic cougars 1 616 396 0390 or don rush at west coast cougars 1-503-463-1130 these 2 may have exactly what you need
thanks
pat

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome to mercurycougar.net. Don't know which car you have, but try Autozone. Worst case is you can order them online. Mustangs Unlimited http://www.mustangsunlimited.com, and AutoKrafters http://www.autokrafters.com are both reputable outlets. You'll have alot of questions in the future, no doubt, and there are many people who monitor these forums which can answer about any question you may have. Good choice of car, by the way.

Steve C.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ive gone to Autozone in the past and have gotten nowhere there. i looked at a local auto parts store ( the small ones you see around ) and they had them for me the next day. thats for my 69... i hear the newer ones arent the easiest to find parts for. hmm it says you are in Garden Grove.. theres a place called Clark's Discount Auto in Bellflower that has damn near everything. they are usually busy though. from Garden Grove take the 22 West to the 605 North. take that to the 91 West and get off on Lakewood Blvd. make a right and its just down a few blocks on the left hand side. i dont have the exact address off hand but it is there. if not there, well, Mustang Country is just a few more blocks up Lakewood Blvd. and they WILL have them. probably right in stock too, just might not be the cheapest. welcome to the boards by the way :)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
i need help
there is no correct hose for 69 I don't think. what year engine?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Girl,

It is not ok to use just any hose. First, it has to have the correct fittings. I presume this hose is the one from power steering pump to the control valve, correct? Have you removed your hose and taken it to an auto parts store? If they don't have the exact hose, they may have something close enough to work. But, you don't need a 10 ft. hose for a 5 ft. application.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Power steering hoses

I had mine made with my existing hardware at an auto parts store that also makes hydraulic lines.

I have a 72 (351 Cleaveland).
They were either too long or too short(stock).

·
Registered
106 Posts
My luck with AutoZone is minimal. An attempt to purchase exhaust manifold gaskets for my 69 390 got ludicrous. AutoZone's computer indicated that the gaskets for a Cougar/Mustang would be the same as a Galaxie with the bolt holes vertical versus staggered. The "clerk' could not believe his computer could be wrong until I brought the manifolds in and threw them on the counter.
With our vintage machines it is best to speak with someone who is knowledgeable and perhaps even was alive when the vehicles were produced.
Rant mode (off)
Gunner Mike - out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everybody! i did finally find the right hose for my car. found it at mustang country. but now i have another problem...my windows. i've replaced all the fuses and that didn't work. i have no idea which wires are supposed to go where...hell, i don't even know how to take the cover off the door off. does anybody have a clue??

·
Registered
197 Posts
hello , i think i can help you out if you arent upposed to a used hose. I have several complete power steering assemblies, so im sure i have the correct hose. How does $10.00 sound plus shipping , if iterested send me your complete shipping address and exctly which hose needed and i will see what i can do. Email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Halls Resto

Do you have any parts for 71-73 Cougars?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Removing the door panel to access the power windows in a complex job. It's best done with a special trim puller than keeps the hardware attached to the panel.

Step 1 is to remove the arm rest. There's three 3/8" bolts...one on each end, and one in the middle.

Step 2 is to use the panel puller to free the clips from the door frame. Slip the panel up slightly so it will clear the door handle.

Step 3 is to disconnect any wire harnesses that are attached to the panel.

Trust me, it's sooooo much easier if you take it to an upholstery shop where they can remove the panel with ease.

And there's no guarantee that the problem lies within the door...if NONE of the window switches work, it could be in the window switch feed.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ive never had a problem pulling my door panels off. the first time you do it its kinda ifficult becasue the clips are often half stuck in the holes but once you do it its easy. 3 bolts in the arm rest, one screw around the remote mirror control and the clips on the door. simply unplug the wires on the inside of the panel and its off. not that bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts