Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Cougar cummunity and just started the teardown of my 1967 Cougar. One of the reasons I bought Mercury/Ford was to save on shipping costs by trying to source parts from Mac’s Antiques in Lockport NY which is down the street. Unfortunately they don’t really specialize in the Cougar and their Mercury catalog is rather weak. Knowing that the Cougar and Mustang are clones from the front all the way to the beginning of the quarter panel (dimensionally at least) does anyone know whether the Mustang headliner and carpeting would be the same for the Cougar. Mac’s has headliners and carpeting on sale now and although those are way down the list on my part needs, I was hoping to capture some cost savings. I checked with them and the poor young man attempting to help me was rather lost. Are the front valances the same as well for Cougars and Mustangs? Thanks for your assistance

·
Registered
913 Posts
None of the exterior sheet metal on either car is the same, they do share the same frame sheet metal back to the rear seat. You can get catalogs from West coast classic cougars, Mustang Unlimited, John's Classic Cougars, national parts depot,Kens Cougars and others, just do the search.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The headliner is different, carpet the same. Just check our site, there are "almost" no mistakes for Mustang vs. Cougar applications. The valance is very different.

<table id="Contents Table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1968 Mercury Cougar Front Lower Valance - Repro
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: C7WY-17620-A-repro

This is brand new to the market reproduction front valance for your 1967 - 1968 Mercury Cougar. This valance is an excellent reproduction in every...

</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
106 Posts
My understanding is the headliner is possible but that it is shorter than one you would get for the Cougar and you may run into fitment problems. The windshield in the Mustang/Cougar are the same but the backlites are different. Valances are not the same. Most of the "sharing" is in the drive train I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts