Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of running an inventory on my new cat, a 70 Cougar convertible 351C 2V.

So far, I'm having problems locating a decent place for parts, both mechanically and esthically. My main problem seems to be that Cougar places in Canada seem to be VERY few and far between.

So... with all that said and done, could anyone recommend parts places for new, used parts that are either loacted in Canada or export to Canada. Even a proper catalog would be a God send. Obviously service, selection and price are my main criteria. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, a power steering pump, carpet kit for the trunk, windshield washer reservoir, etc.

Anyways, I'm rambled on long enough :) If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sly in Montreal

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Well, to be blunt, there are no cougar specific vendor's in canada. You can buy mechanical items for the most part through Classic Mustang vendors, which there are a bunch in Canada. For Cougar specific items, you'll need to deal with the US based Cougar vendors, none of which have any problem shipping to Canada..

But, I know how you feel, The exchange rate is a killer to get parts from the US...

You may want to check with the Great Lakes Cougar club or the Fordnutz club out in Vancouver. They both have alot of Canuck members and most of whom I'm sure, have great sources for parts, possibly in Canada...

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
There's also Ray Harwood in Victoria BC, he's got a stash of stuff, Im sure he could help you out. here's is email

[email protected]

I might be able to help on some small scale, Im in BC as well, I havent gone thru my stash yet but Im sure I have a few things that might help. For body panel stuff, try Cross Canada Auto Body parts in Ont. they have good quality panels (Im happy with there quality so far) at
http://www.crosscanadaparts.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/index.html?E+scstore

For suspension parts, there's Canadian Mustang, they are on the web too, at http://www.americanpony.com/newindex.shtml click on canadian parts.
That should keep you busy for awhile :D

Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might keep me busy...

Thanks. Hopefully, this will keep me busy for a while, but as I dig further into the new cat, I'll discover more and more that needs to be done.

In any case, I'll try a couple of these and hopefully one of the CDN ones will be able to help. Last time I ordered a part from the US it cost 400 or so but the duty added an extra 150 to it, so all and all... very costly.

Now maybe if I can find a scrapyard somewhere with a couple Cougars...

... I know, I'm dreaming. :rolleyes:

Thx again

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not being smart, but I dont understand the so called "duty" involved. I thought the canucks were part of the great NAFTA. Or is it just another one sided agreement? mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Well, we have to pay taxes on the purchase price (15% gst and pst), most companies insure the product up the a$$ so we get dinged on the total value price, plus we have to pay customs brokerage fee's, and if its made in the US. I traded a set of 1/4 extensions straight across for a shifter hump. It cost me 15US to ship the hump and he didnt have to pay any duty cuz the part was made in the US, and I put $1 value on it. He sent me the hump and cost him 30US to ship. But... he put a $200. US value on it, and made in the US, so I had to pay 15% on the 200. or $305. Can. plus brokerage fee's, so I had to pay 92. Can. for this supposedly straight swap. I told him to put down a low value price, and broken part and made in Canada, but didnt. When I got it, found out it wasnt for my car, but for a 4 speed car, so Im out 130. Can and 1/4 extensions. He wants a spare fairlane hood I have, and he's paying big, and Im going to make sure he does.
Most companies wont play around with customs cuz it's illegal, and a 200.US part ends up costing us 400.Can by the time its here. I dont buy from the US anymore cuz it's not worth it and some people get upset if you ask them to put a low value on the part just incase it gets lost in shipping and they have to claim it as lost and apply for a refund. So for a 200. part, if they put down 30. US as a value, that's all they get back. This NAFTA is a bad deal for Canadians, and a sour spot to most of us.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Oh yeah, I was going to get a front spoiler from Mustangs Unlimited for 49.95 US (including the mounting hardware), plus 25.US for shipping. So for a 75.US pice of fiberglass, Im looking at almost 200.Can by the time taxes and duty is applied, for a 50 dollar part. Go figure, and MU isnt into cheaping out on customs to save ME money.
So for any product, you can pretty much double it (100.US=200Can.) when it gets here. and the exchange rate is 1.56 right now or close to.
Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Rick thats what I'm trying to figure out, how Canada can charge the duty!! (that the US apparently dosnt) I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the duty isnt doing the US any favors either if the Canucks dont buy from us because of it.

I know the US finally started putting quotas on some steel products and the other countrys are crying a river over it. I just dont understand it!! mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Mark, I have no idea why. If it's not a Canadian made product then its gotta be taxed I guess. The government has there hands in everything. I should try something with someone next time I ship something across. I should put made in Canada with a 100.Can. value and see if they get dinged duty. Im not like that though, Ive sold lots of stuff on ebay and sent to the US, and found the cheapest way to send for the customer, and now got alot of americans to buy from Canada, but I still havent found a free way to get stuff here from the US, Ive recieved stuff from UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc, and still had to pay duty. So Im stopping, so buy from Canadians, sell to the americans, be happy,lol.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hello all, I've been having pretty good luck so far shipping parts from US to Canada (Mostly ebay stuff though) Anyway, I always remembered what Ray Harwood suggested in a post when I first joined this forum...have the customs declaration say "auto repair parts" and have it sent by the postal service. That way the most I have to pay is a $5 CND postal handling fee and those nasty taxes:mad: I have also had shipments sent with a $15 US value (since we are only allowed about $25 CDN worth of import before being "dutied"!!) Sometimes the shipments come right to me with no extra charges!! I know I'm taking a chance doing this but it's been working so far....probably not after this post though!!:rolleyes:

And Sly, I have dealt with Special Interest Cars in Oakville, Ontario. They can get most Ford parts (including Cougars!)and the prices are reasonable. Their phone number is 905-844-8063. Their email address is [email protected] and the fellow I spoke to is Ray. He says that he is an obsolete Ford warehouse!

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are tricks, but mostly, local is best

When I buy from ebay, most of the guys there make it come to my door, tax and duty free... which is obviously the point. Sometimes, it's as simple as writing "gift" or "for repair" or "return" on the box. Since our government (CDN) is greedier than the US, I think Americans simply don't understand our whining.

In either case, I'll do my best to get what I can from Canadian vendors. There really should be more canuck Cougar places (look at me, I'm whining again .:cry: )

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No, I dont think of it as whining! I just dont uderstand how Canada can do it under the North American "FREE" trade agreement. Dont sound like the free trade works both ways. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I know i just nsent a set of seatbelts up to the great white i figured it was only 7.00 for shipping actually i thought it was less but when i sent it it was 12.00 so it ate any money i would of made i only charge 5.00 for them so i was just helping out another cougar enthusiast anyhow with stuff i didnt want but god it cost twelve dollars to ship a 5.00 item you guys would be better off just buying a whole new car rather than repair them. My heart goes out to ya truly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about that ;) My goal was not to give anyone a heart attack. Had a toyota once. The most dull, nothing really wrong with yet nothing that stands out car I've ever owned.

Man I'm gettin off topic, huh? LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts