Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 68 XR-7, power steering, front disc, and air conditioning, 302 2V. I'm parting this baby out. The body is toast. What are some things (large or small) that I absolutely want to make sure I remove before it goes to the wrecking yard? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Definitely save the interior pieces such as the dash facings and the bezels behind them. Save the steering wheel, the guages, and whichever type of console it has (assumming a mini console isn't all pitted).

If the bumpers are decent, they are useful as cores. Door panels, interiore quarter panels, vinyl top trim, the entire grille section and the tail lights are all worth saving. The front disc brake setup would be useful to someone doing a conversion. All the stainless trim for the trunk and hood areas can be repolished or used as cores. If the hood and trunk lid are decent, I'd save those.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
You pretty much don't want to leave anything on it... We strip them down to the bone including headliner bows, plastic clips, shock towers, EVERYTHING!

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Theres nothing you should leave on the xr7 for a scrap yard,unless its rusted out body parts or broken plastic parts.
Get all the wiring and dont cut it, pull it without damaging it!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was watching youtube today and heard an mc.net member/vendor make a particular comment about the bezel around the center A/C vents. Surprised he didn't add that to jrbcougar's statement about ALL A/C parts.

But he did say something in one video about "When it rains, we stop and drink beers". I've gotta move out of the desert!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Also, the brake pedal pushrod, that goes into the master cylinder. I may need to buy that from you...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions guys... I have been working on it. I promised the wife I'd have out of the garage by the end of the month, or my name will be mud!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts