Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VIN Tag.jpg I just bought a 71 XR7 Conv. with a 351 4V C6 Posi 9" rear. Plan is to part it out. It's pretty complete and the plan is to get the motor running this weekend. The guy I bought it from says it ran great when he parked it 2 years ago. The odometer says 93k. I may keep the tranny, but the motor will be up for grabs, along with just about everything else. I will post items when I get them pulled, but if there is something you need please feel free to email me to let me know what you need. Thanks. XR7.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello again,
If you need to ask a question feel free to give me a call. I'll know more about the motor after this weekend. My cell is 412-951-0445. Car is in Hanover, PA.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
That's quite the rare critter you've got there. XR-7 convertible, was originally bright blue metallic, black leather interior. 3.00 posi rear.

Please flesh out your profile so we know where you are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Hanover, PA. An hour south of Harrisburg, and hour north of Baltimore. i just got it off the traler last night. I will have it running over the weekend and go from there. I personally don't think it's worth restoring becuase of how much rust there is on the body panels. That deosn't mean that it's all bad. Just let me know what you need.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can't figure out if the rear on a 71 is 59 INCH or a 61 INCH. If it will fit on my 70, I may be interested in the posi rear. Sal

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be getting the car up and running and will shoot a video of the motor running. If it's a strong runner it will be hard to part with. The rear will definitely be up for grabs. If you can't find out if it fits your 70, let me know. I have a bunch of books and Dr. Google will help too. Hopefully I will get a good list of what will be for sale and pricing on everything by next week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't figure out if the rear on a 71 is 59 INCH or a 61 INCH. If it will fit on my 70, I may be interested in the posi rear. Sal

Sal,
here's the answer:
1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane 59.25 inches
Found it digging in the Forum.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Sal,
here's the answer:
1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane 59.25 inches
Found it digging in the Forum.
That's not the answer. All 67-70 Mustangs and Cougars share the same width rear axle 71-73 Mustangs and Cougars had a 1" wider rear axle. The 71-73 will fit but not with stock offset wheels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Parting out a 1971 Mercury Cougar XR7. Up for grabs is a running 351C with a C6 Transmission. The motor runs good. Not quite sure what condition the tranny is in. Please see video of motor. The carb that we used to start the car is NOT INCLUDED. The orginal carb was in the trunk of the car and needs cleaned up, although it looked pretty good. The motor and trans were just pulled and are ready to go. Location is Hanover PA. If intertested call Jon 412-951-0445

Asking $1,000 for the motor and tranny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xWGpvfocLg

I also have a 9 inch rear, posi, with 3.00 gears. Asking $400 for that.<!-- START CLTAGS -->

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold the rear end, motor, front grille. Still have C6 transmission. I also have headlight bezels, rusty bumpers, dash, convertible motor and pistons, convertible frame, and more. I know I should list everything with prices, but I'm not looking to get rich. If you need something give me a call or email me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How much are the rear side panels, and are they cut out for power windows or regular cranks? Also how much are you asking for theheadlight bezels, rear chrome pieces(3) that go around the convertible top,above the trunk and top of the quarters

·
Registered
146 Posts
I need the rear convertible quarter windows. Mine is non a/c. Got a left hand coupe one with my car and need the correct one and would buy both so the chrome looks the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts