Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this switch wrapped around the export brace on my 67 Cougar. Need help findng out what it is and where it is supposed to be installed ?? Thx

002.jpg
003.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Is that a back up switch for a 3 speed stick?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Or perhaps part of an old alarm system?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Blinker Fluid Reservoir...on the serious side though, could that be an under the hood light switch? It appears to have the mounting lug on it where it bonded with the inner fender.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Scott has it, though it may be for a 4 speed? any way it is a back up light switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got cha..... So that's why my backup lights aren't working !! It is a 4 sp with Hurst shifter that looks factory... Any chance the shifter has been changed or was Hurst an option ?? Thx RW

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Got cha..... So that's why my backup lights aren't working !! It is a 4 sp with Hurst shifter that looks factory... Any chance the shifter has been changed or was Hurst an option ?? Thx RW
Hurst was not a factory option until the 1970 model year.

·
11,000 Posts
Hurst was not an option any year. It was standard in 1970 if you had a 4 speed.

Autolite shifters were used with 4 speed or 3 speed in 1967 - 69.

Hurst was not a factory option until the 1970 model year.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
While the Hurst shifter was not a factory option untell the 70 model year, some one could have put a factory Hurst shifter. More likly not. Look for part numbers on the shifter body, shifter rods and other parts. Post them here, if they are facttory some one here will know them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts