Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, some of you may recognize me, but my pile requires lots of work. I got the engine pretty well figured out, and the electrical, with help from y'all. Thank you by the way. Now i got a question about my parking break. Aside from the handle missing, i've noticed that my parking break only holds the car from going forwards, but not backwards. Anyone know what the hell is goin on here?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That is correct. The way drum brakes are made they only hold firmly going forward. There is a little resistance backwards, but not enough to hold the car. If you really pull on them and don't run out of cable it is possible to get them to hold - but don't trust them!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It has to do with the geometry of the drum brakes (all early Cougars had rear drums). Do I recall correctly the parking cable only actuates one shoe per wheel?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whack

Well it's nice to know my car works properly, but that's pretty weak. Is it tough to do a disc brak conversion for more reliable rear stopping power?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The brakes work fine when used nominally (i.e. pedal power). The single-shoe actuation is only when the emergency brake is used, and that works fine if you're moving forward (i.e. if you have an emergency loss of brake fluid/power while driving). This is true of most cars with rear drum brakes. Rear disc conversions are possible (lots of people make kits to do it, or you can scavenge the boneyards); usually people do it for better brake cooling and less braking fade (the actual stopping power of drums and discs are similar, I've even heard that drums stop better). The biggest advantage of discs is the cooling which allows repeated stops and panic stops from high speed ( > 70 mph) without fade.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
your brakes are out of adjustment or worn out if it doesn't hold in rev and both shoes both side are used for E brake. 78 cats ebrakes are weak compared to 69/70 which has leg activated e brake. Pull like hel,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts