Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ratcheting latch isn't engaging on my parking brake (1967 XR-7). If I pull the handle to set the parking brake, it slides right back in instead of staying engaged.

Does anyone know how to correct this?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Can you pull it back by hand and it engages? Or does it flop like a fish all the time? I assume the spring tension is ok to draw it back..... think there is a spring for the cam/ratched inside that could have broken or come off/streched/rotted

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
You do realize that the handle must be in the horizontal plane for the pawl to line up with the teeth in the shaft? You rotate the handle toward verticle release the brake.

Assuming that the pawl is in place, and the handle is in the horizontal, then the spring that engages the pawl is broken, missing, out out of alignment.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You do realize that the handle must be in the horizontal plane for the pawl to line up with the teeth in the shaft? You rotate the handle toward verticle release the brake.

Assuming that the pawl is in place, and the handle is in the horizontal, then the spring that engages the pawl is broken, missing, out out of alignment.
Bill,

In '69 they changed to a foot operated parking brake.

Your handle needs to be pushed forward if the spring on the release is broken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sounds like I'll need to crawl under the dash and inspect the spring. Anything specific I should be looking for and testing?

(And yes, I know how to turn the handle to release the brake. This is happening when the handle is in the horizontal position and hasn't been turned.)

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Bill,

In '69 they changed to a foot operated parking brake.

Your handle needs to be pushed forward if the spring on the release is broken.
I thought he had a 67 XR7? But you are right, and I need to learn more about the "new" Cougars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts