Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my parking brake has been acting crazy in the last few days and I'm wondering which way is it to loosen the brake drums in the back, on the driver side is it up or down? Its staying engaged even when I release the brake lever. geesh

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You actually use it! ;>) - Parking brake cables rarely get lubed and tend to get rust and gummed up inside the sheathing. If your adjusters are working properly they shouldn't need much unless you brakes are not holding well enough...which isn't the case here. (Like the grandmother who never backs up her car!! --which is how they work BTW) Most likey your cable isn't retracting enough due to low spring pressure or just need to get lubed or replaced. They can be a real bear to free up. try shooting a bunch of WD-40 in the sheating and actuating the cable a number if times, have a buddy with a pair for vice grips grab the outer ends and pull it back and forth while you hold the the release lever and move the cable in/out. If that doesn't work, I'd consider removing/cleaning, or get new ones.

To get the shoes to move back in, you need to hold the adjuster lever away while you back off the star wheel a few turns....easier with the drums off. Might as well clean them up while your that far in there....new brake shoes too?...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to change the location of my parking brake. My intent is to use it for MILD stunt driving (no explosions or total riff raff). I plan on registering my car with SAG a film and television guild and I intend on using it in films.

Is there a way to change the parking brake handle to a side seat position? I have some shorter cables I got from a 66' Fairlane that I plan on using..any input would be helpful...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts