Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if yet if it is also behind door panels. .... Havent had them off for a while. ....
There is some sort of tar backed paper attached to the body inside of the interior panels that have to be removed to access the window regulators in the back seats and on the doors also? is there someplace i can get replacement "tar backed paper" ? what is this stuff actually called? ..... Oh, 67 standard Cat. ....

·
Registered
629 Posts
That's the water vapor barrier sheet, it's there to help keep the door panels from warping from water when you wash the car or when it gets rained on. When I did my 69 to 70 window swap out I noticed them in my car. My panels are warped anyways. I've also taken apart the doors on some of my newer cars and in my Volvo and Murano it was clear plastic. I think you can get replacements from WCCC or anywhere that sells cougar/mustang parts, or a better fix would be to make your own out of plastic and an adhesive similar to the one on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool ... Thank You !

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
They're called "Water Shields". For the adhesive, use 3m Bedding Compound.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That's all I did when I worked on my windows when I had my door panels off. My originals were kinda shot, so I just cut out some thick mil plastic and used new putty compound from WCCC to stick it into place. It is working just fine.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Plastic is what they seem to use on new cars. The repro water shields are fine too (and correct) but probably not as durable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a "correct placement" for the strips of bedding compound for the door and quarter vapor barriers? pictures?

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
Is there a "correct placement" for the strips of bedding compound for the door and quarter vapor barriers? pictures?

I don't believe there is a "correct placement" for the bedding. It was indiscriminately applied. I really haven't seen two alike.

Here are some pictures you could follow but in my opinion I wouldn't put fifty year technology back on the cat, the bedding YES, but the cheap paper A BIG NO!

That paper doesn't work all that well. I would use the paper as patterns but I make mine out of plastic like the new cars are using. More of the door can be covered without affecting the door or quarter fitment. It will last and protest your door and quarter panels much better and longer and keep the humidity and water off the back boards.

That's just my opinion though.

For as much money that they want for paper you would think they would include the plastic cups that went into some of the access holes.

Oh and one more thing, be carful which plastic you choose. Some plastics, like trash bags, are made to deteriorate.

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
Cascade Audio makes material that will act as a vapor barrier, but also make the car much quieter. It has an adhesive backing and will mold to the shape of the inner door skin with a heat gun.

Andrew
I went to their site to have a look http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/VB2_Vinyl_Damping_Material_Installation.html

Looks like a clean install but if I were to use that product I would have a few questions. 1. Cost is a big factor. 2. Could I remove it and then re-install incase I needed to get back into the door? I like to look inside the doors and quarters every year for any rust, foreign material like leaves, bugs or build up of dirt. The weather strip that was designed for these Cougar's and Mustangs aren't exactly waterproof. You would be surprised how much stuff gets inside the doors and quarters. A buildup of any foreign material will hold moisture and that can cause rust.

3. Could I use that product on the back of the panels instead ? That's how I would want to use it. I may buy some to try it out. You know vinyl wrap could work too.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
The product is very sticky and when it is on, it is there to stay. If you were to take it off, you would not get it back on without destroying it. I have used this on my 70 GTO and on a Miata that I had a while back. Using it on the inside of the door panel would defeat the purpose of the product, that being to dampen the resonance of the door to make the cabin quieter.

If you plan on doing a yearly clean out, I would just go with a nice thick plastic. When I did installed a floating bamboo floor in my house, I used a 6 mil (as I recall) plastic as a vapor barrier. It was cheap...this stuff:

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/mil-Poly-Sheeting-sft-per-roll-Dream-Home-POL/10008736

I am sure you can find something similar at your local home improvement store.

Andrew

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
I think were getting a little off the subject with the sound deadener product. It does the job but for me it's not practical if you want to remove it.

ndtorque posted (post 5) three great products that's made just for this purpose too.

I've been using; Blue Hawk 100-sq ft Premium 0.006-in Flooring Underlayment <meta content="Blue Hawk" itemprop="brand"> <meta content="100-sq ft Premium 0.006-in Flooring Underlayment" itemprop="name"> Item # 114729 Model # MOIST100 [SUP]$[/SUP]14.98
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=moisture+barrior

1 - 15 of 15 Posts