Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently asked a question about replacing the two front aprons and the radiator support on my 68 Cougar. I was wondering if someone could take a measurement from the center edge of the cowl to the center outer edge of the radiator support. I took this measurement before disassembly, but now I cannot find it. I would appreciate if somebody could help me. Thanks...

·
Registered
913 Posts
AS close as I can figure, it's 40 inches, once you get it to this, you can square the front end by measuring from the screw holes that hold the rear fender shield to the inner apron across to the rad support corner on the opposite side, ( like left screw hole to right rad, support corner)then do the same for the other side until you get the same measurement. This will create a X type pattern to square it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really appreciate your help, but I should have been a little more specific about where to take the measurement. There is a small vertical piece of sheet metal between the 4 bolts that hold the export bracing to the shock towers. I measured from that vertical piece in center of those 4 bolts to the center outside edge (grille side) of the radiator support, at 40 inches the radiator support is not close to being vertical. Can you tell me if you are taking your measurements from the same points? Once again I would like to thank you for all yor help.

·
11,000 Posts
Perhaps you need to be more specific since you are the one asking for help. Maybe post a picture of the two points you want measurements from / to?

I really appreciate your help, but I should have been a little more specific about where to take the measurement. There is a small vertical piece of sheet metal between the 4 bolts that hold the export bracing to the shock towers. I measured from that vertical piece in center of those 4 bolts to the center outside edge (grille side) of the radiator support, at 40 inches the radiator support is not close to being vertical. Can you tell me if you are taking your measurements from the same points? Once again I would like to thank you for all yor help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a few pictures of the measurement I am looking to get. From the "X" center of the cowl to the "arrow" the edge of the radiator support.
distance.jpg from X.jpg both ends2.jpg

·
11,000 Posts
I get 42" between those points.

Here are a few pictures of the measurement I am looking to get. From the "X" center of the cowl to the "arrow" the edge of the radiator support.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Royce, I get 41 34. Before, I was measuring to the cowl lip.
I just went out and measured my 67 and it is also 41 3/4 and that measurement is good taken in several different places.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone who helped answer my question. The information you supplied was invalueable. Now I can continue to work on my Cougar, which has been in my garage for quite a few years.Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts