Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a decent brand of paint for our Cats? I see some places use Dupont. How is Sherman WIlliams in the auto paint world? Just wanting something decent on a budget.
Would love show quality but looking for daily driver quality. What's everyones opinions?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
PPG and Dupont both have a cheaper version of paint, as well as their top of the line stuff. From what I've read these are the two most popular brands, IMO.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do not use 4th Dimension!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You leave out a lot of info. Single Stage (SS) or BC/CC. Is your color a solid or metallic? Are you going down to bare metal? If so are you going to use an epoxy primer? Will you use a primer surfacer next to get the surface level? I use PPG myself. The only difference between Omni MP170 and Deltron DPLF40 epoxy is the window for top coating. Three days vs. 7 days. Omni has a great primer surfacer MP282 which is just as good as the higher priced Deltron. However, Omni paint can be thin on the pigment side so it might take more coats for solid coverage. So I use Deltron Concept SS for color since it covers better and the UV inhibitors are better. I'm pretty sure when it comes to the base coat version of Omni vs. Deltron 2000 the Deltron would cover much better. Although PPG says they have updated the Omni line but whether they mean the products or just the marketing image I don't currently know.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Wasn't Sherman Williams Mr. Peabody's boy?

·
Registered
913 Posts
You leave out a lot of info. Single Stage (SS) or BC/CC. Is your color a solid or metallic? Are you going down to bare metal? If so are you going to use an epoxy primer? Will you use a primer surfacer next to get the surface level? I use PPG myself. The only difference between Omni MP170 and Deltron DPLF40 epoxy is the window for top coating. Three days vs. 7 days. Omni has a great primer surfacer MP282 which is just as good as the higher priced Deltron. However, Omni paint can be thin on the pigment side so it might take more coats for solid coverage. So I use Deltron Concept SS for color since it covers better and the UV inhibitors are better. I'm pretty sure when it comes to the base coat version of Omni vs. Deltron 2000 the Deltron would cover much better. Although PPG says they have updated the Omni line but whether they mean the products or just the marketing image I don't currently know.
I agree, Omni use to cover good, but lately it seems that they are using more fillers, and it takes more to cover. The 4th Dimension is so thin it would take 2to3 gallons to paint a car ,especially if is transparent. Good paint is not cheap,but will save you a lot of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been using the PPG Omni line as well as I like the products and am familiar with it, but also agree that it does seem a bit thin. Two coats minimum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts