Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thrilled to have this somewhat fixed..

For those of you that have seen the "before" in person, this is quite a change. I got a bunch of door dings and a hood bulge pushed out too. Can't say enough good things about a good dent repair guy! For those that have original paint and want to preserve their survivor cars or even touch up a boo boo with a repainted car, this is a great service. A lot can be done for a couple Hunskies$

The Before..

In process..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
So whats the striped thingy mabob? (technical definiton) Some type of depth guage I would guess...? that was a fairly sharp edged dent....would be tough to get 'er perfect I bet. Didn't see the before but it must have been prety crinkled!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So whats the striped thingy mabob? (technical definiton) Some type of depth guage I would guess...? that was a fairly sharp edged dent....would be tough to get 'er perfect I bet. Didn't see the before but it must have been prety crinkled!
Steve,

See the "before.." captioned pic above. It's actually a good one of the before mess..unfortunately the buffer got carried away last year when the motor got rebuilt and the car was resurrected!

The lines give some sort of reference point/guage for measuring progress. They use these thick metal bars to rub it out from behind. LOTS of leverage was needed on this thick old sheet metal. The guys said "wow, my arms are tired"! As if they had not been doing this kind of work on old steel for a long long time ;)

Cheers,

B

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Glad you had good results.I took my car in about 6 weeks ago to get many dings and some small dents out.The guy that did mine accomlished very little,and I still have 95% of my dents.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The striped thingy is a light with lines on it so they can stare at its reflection in the paint and watch as they push the dent out. It keeps them from having to move their head back and forth trying to catch something in the reflection to see if the dent is still there or not. When you get to watch a guy who's really good at PDR work, it is pretty amazing.

I'm glad it worked out for you! It always makes me nervous when PDR guys work on stuff that can't easily be repainted if need be.

·
Registered
389 Posts
its amazing how much thicker the sheet metal is on these cars than "modern" cars... i'd imagine PDR on something this old would wear you out.....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HUH, never knew how they did that stuff before - pretty neat. I just figured with our old stuff you were pretty much stuck with the old ways of dent removal. Good to know it can be done, as I have a few light dings that need to come out. (missed them when I painted)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
As I understand the NEW cars, the metal is thinner, yes, but also more SPRING to it. This does allow it to be more forgiving. IMO. Weight in today's cars is given LOTS of thought on the front side.

You have to find the RIGHT guy/gal. My son had lots of door dings removed, and his guy was very very good. Maybe you should ask to see some of his past work before you sign on............MAYBE.

Dale in Indy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts