Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We close on our new house in 3 weeks and I plan on coating the garage floor since the cat has a fluid leak. It's a deep 3 car garage with enough room to work on my cars in their own bay and store the tool chest I've had my eyes on for quite awhile.

I plan on going with the gray epoxy and black flakes. My question though is this, since its fresh concrete can I save some money and just power wash the floor or do I really need to prep it with an acid wash?

I'd hate to take a step that's not necessary or worse yet, remove one that is and have the floor peel on me 4 or 5 months down the road. TIA for your thoughts and comments.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I treated my garage floor, brand new, and had to wait a certain amount of time for the conctete to cure, and wash with acid to remove certain kinds of salts (efflorescence?). Then, liberal water rinse, to neutralize the acid.

You can check it out at <cite>www.techniseal.com/howto/DEP.PAV.USA.ANG.pdf</cite> for instructions

Can't get the link to the instructions, but if you google "techniseal instructions", the first item gets you the pdf file

This is what I used : WL-1 http://www.rona.ca/shop/~sealant-wl1-protective-sealant-techniseal-284829_coatings-sealants-cleaning-products_building-materials-accessories_shop

Jean

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
go to garagejournal.com. they have a great forum with lots of knowlegeable peeps. That's where I went before I did my floor.
It's a lotta work but worth it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why dont you just fix the leak? :)
I'm going to paint the floor irregardless leak or no, but the leak is down on my list of things to do right now. I also still have to figure out the best way to tackle my wheel rubbing issue and decide if I want to just get and AOD transmission or get the linkage point bushings replaced on my current 3 speed. Then theres the problem of not being employed full time and this and that. You get the picture.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Maxgig,
I went to a Home Improvement store right after I bought my new house. I talked with the guy in the paint department and asked the same question. He told me "That since it was new, I didn't need to etch the concrete" I asked again and he said the same thing. So I went home cleaned out the garage scrubbed the floor and power washed it and let it dry. The next day I started painting the floor. It look great for about a month and then it started to "peel" where the tires were located. I went back to the store and talked to another paint department employee and told him what the other guy had said. He promptly apologized and said that the other employee was wrong. He said the guy had been giving out incorrect advice and it was one of the reasons that he was fired. Also, when I finished mine, whenever the floor got wet, it was very slippery. Everyone in my family has slipped a time or two one the floor, I thought you may want to know. I hope your project goes much better than mine did.

Paul

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would polish the concrete...

·
Registered
913 Posts
I understand that this coating can be bought at different places, but the company called U Coat it will answer all of your questions,and if you follow their inst. they will guarantee it to stay.

·
Registered
386 Posts
X2 on the slippery issue. There's stuff you can buy that's like a fine sand that you add to the paint to make it not so slippery when it's wet. The only problem with that is it eventually comes off over time where there's a lot of traffic. I would also not use the two part epoxy products that you mix two 1 gallon cans and wait an hour before painting (can't remember the brand). They cost around $100 or more for the two gallons and don't work any better than the 1 part epoxy paints that cost $25 or so a gallon.

Ben

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I would also not use the two part epoxy products that you mix two 1 gallon cans and wait an hour before painting (can't remember the brand). They cost around $100 or more for the two gallons and don't work any better than the 1 part epoxy paints that cost $25 or so a gallon.

Ben
Not sure why you would not use epoxy unless you have experience. There are dozens of companies out there that have epoxies that are great. I did mine and love it. The Epoxy floor, the color fleck, the grip particals work great. My reservation would be to not use an acrylic clear top-coat as I did and use an epoxy clear top coat. The acrylic top coat can still be taken off with acetone and such which is not good. Also, I may be wrong but I doubt it, Epoxy by definition is a 2 part system. You have a resin and a catylyst. I would be weary of anything called a 1 part epoxy, that would just be paint. And then comes cost, if you are worried about spending $25 to $100, just buy garage floor paint and be done with it. My floor was close to $1000 in just materials alone for my 4 car garage. Like I said in my previous post, go to the forum at garagejournal.com. There are hundreds of threads on different floor types out there.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
www.epoxy-coat.com

Yes, acid wash even if new! Concrete needs to be cured for minimum time before-hand, as well....IIRC, 90 days. Unless, of course, you planned ahead when they poured, and had them put down a "light broom finish"......

I used the "economy" version of epoxy-coat, www.performanceepoxy.com , only difference is, they only offer three colors of basecoat, whereas epoxy coat offers many.

Don't have a link to it, but in my started threads, I show my shop build, and have the floor pics in there. Hope that helps!

Here you go....http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49414-Happy-day-today.....&p=420485#post420485

I did the "Taupe" base color, and "Hockeytown" chips from colorchips.com, they are red, black, and white. I used no clear coat, as it is SPENDY, but kinda wish I had, now. It would have been a "sacrificial" layer for abuse!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts