Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if Eastwoods, Chassis Black would be a good paint for the Axle housing. Not sure if it will be glossy enough? It says satin on the container.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Actually, I don't think you want gloss, satin sounds right to me (although I elected to do mine with POR-15 so it is very tough, and shiny).

·
Registered
355 Posts
HPIM0936.jpg HPIM0938.jpg

While you guys are talking about that particular neighborhood (axle housing), can anyone explain the 3-digit number on the right hand axle tube, the X on the diff and the paint daubs at the vent and brakeline mounting position?

I have a similar 3-digit number greased onto my rad support- same number? This is Chris Gauch's car- guess I should be asking him ;-)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Three digit number is the rotation number as it went down the assembly line. You will find it on the build sheet if you have it and also on the buck tag.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
View attachment 26643 View attachment 26644

While you guys are talking about that particular neighborhood (axle housing), can anyone explain the 3-digit number on the right hand axle tube, the X on the diff and the paint daubs at the vent and brakeline mounting position?

I have a similar 3-digit number greased onto my rad support- same number? This is Chris Gauch's car- guess I should be asking him ;-)
I have the number on the rad support, never looked for the one on the right diff tube, will have to look for that (on the original diff) and the other marks, not that it really matters for my car, but I like to do these sort of touches just the same.

·
Registered
913 Posts
View attachment 26643 View attachment 26644

I have not seen the numbers on the axle housing like that, but the X is inspection mark that the grease has been checked and the green mark is to show where the vent tube goes, there is no green for the brake hose hole I have also seen dates and gear ratio and the number 9 on the rear end in paint

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have not seen the numbers on the axle housing like that, but the X is inspection mark that the grease has been checked and the green mark is to show where the vent tube goes, there is no green for the brake hose hole I have also seen dates and gear ratio and the number 9 on the rear end in paint
Regarding the green paint mark(s), maybe there are two on a CJ because the vent tube fitting is separate from the brake hose mounting whereas on a small block car the vent hose fitting is what holds the brake hose.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Personally I like the Rustoleum gloss industrial -- available from Home Depot

·
Registered
913 Posts
Regarding the green paint mark(s), maybe there are two on a CJ because the vent tube fitting is separate from the brake hose mounting whereas on a small block car the vent hose fitting is what holds the brake hose.
There is only one green paint mark on a housing with two holes, and the paint mark is to identify where the vent goes.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what color of green? and is it in front or to the rear of the vent hole? How big of a daub was it?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
what color of green? and is it in front or to the rear of the vent hole? How big of a daub was it?
See Joe's pictures for one example.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is only one green paint mark on a housing with two holes, and the paint mark is to identify where the vent goes.
That you have seen first hand Carlton? (not doubting, just asking) Sounds reasonable. In the absence of real data I was just offering what seemed to me to be a reasonable explanation.

Anyone else with a comment on the line number (and is it the same as the number on the radiator support)?? I got all excited and put the radiator support number on the axle last night and now it might be wrong! No worries though (but would like to know for sure), I can easily take it off with WD-40. Anyone?

Regards,

Bob

P.S. Apologies/asking for indulgence to Harvey for the slight hijack started by Joe (mixed in with the good on-topic comments).

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob I learn more from every post so no apologies are necessary. I'll try and decipher all the info I can get!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Harvey, the green is dark and it is more of a short stripe than a daub, and its on the rear like the picture.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Here is another example for you. This was an XR7G I completed a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John thanks again. The pictures are a lot of help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts