Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this goes here, I'm not sure. As nobody has the cash to buy my nearly perfect black padded dash, I think I might keep it, and have it painted to match my 67 XR7 red interior.

How do you do that? Is that a do it yourself, or is it better to farm that out to somebody?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You can do a real nice job with SEM vinyl spray cans in your desired color, as long as you clean the dash real well before spraying you should get a nice long lasting job. I painted my dash pad using this method and was simply amazed how nicely the paint went on, the finish and color are spot on (charcoal grey metallic). It only takes about one can to do the (big) 69/70 dash pad, less I am sure for 67/68 since they are so much smaller. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
669 Posts
Absolutely use SEM. If there is a mustang that has the same color interior, look on the NPD catalogue for the SEM vinyl dyes. I used it on both my cougars ('68 tan interior and '69 nugget gold). Perfect match and lays down really nice. I wouldn't buy any other interior dye except for SEM. Yes, Ive tried others, that's how i know.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds great! What constitutes "really clean"? What other prep work is necessary?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brian,

For "really clean", buy "SEM Soap" and go to town before you spray, do it at least twice until you are satisfied (I use this logic in other parts of my life as well :buck:).

http://www.semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=86

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did this as well. I just used dish soap and a sponge and scrubbed the hell out of it. The paint came out really good too, going from green to black, almost looks like it was black originally.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! I did use the tannery cleaner stuff on it initially, I liked the way that turned out. However, to change it for the color coat, I will go with the SEM system. As much as these good used parts cost to replace, a few extra bones in prep work will do me quite well at the end of the trail...Of course, as with all my projects, it will probably be years down the road, before the task is actually accomplished. Case in point, the aluminum heads that I am installing right now, were purchased back in 2008...I have another pair of Trick Flow heads waiting for my 351 stroker to be, that I bought in 2005. It's a good thing I am so "patient".....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
OK Cougar Guy
52 Posts
I did my dash with the SEM. I used Acetone to clean the vinyl. It is important to get all the oils and dirt out of it. The more porous it becomes the better the Dye will adhere and stay. After I applied a few coats I let it dry undisturbed in a warm place for 24 hrs. It came out really well.
Regards,
Glenn

·
Registered
669 Posts
Exactly DON"T use rainbow industries. I bought that for the nugget gold interior. What a disaster. Completely the wrong color! Any body need 2 useless cans??
I don't know what your correct red color code is but if there is a Mustang equivalent, and there probably is, use that in SEM. '68 Mustang had a nugget gold interior which is the same as the '69 cougar nugget gold and the match was perfect. The product laid down beautifully. If I get a chance tommorrow, I'll snap a couple of pictures so you can see.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, SEM only it is. Now, does anyone have a good color code/paint number for the 67 red XR 7 interior? Or is it "maroon"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts