Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking the hood hinges off of my Eliminator project and seen that they had yellow ink stamping on the side. "INSP MAR 7 XXXX". The Xs appear to be the year but are hard to make out. There are more numbers similar to a Ford part # but don't make any sense like a Ford number. The hinges are painted black, which appears to be original. ( I thought hinges were NOT painted). So is this an aftermarket set of hinges? The car was hit in the front at some time, as you can see repairs in the grille area and some putty in one fender. I might be able to answer my own question if I could make out the year. But it is over stamped with the other numbers going the other direction. This on a 1970.
Thanks for any help. Steve

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Steve, do you have a Marti report for your car. If you do, what is the cars build date? You probably know this already, but that is probably an inspection date for something. John

·
11,000 Posts
Original hinges would be phosphate finished and sprayed with a sticky preservative oil. The date code will be stamped into the hinge. Original rivets have a cross shaped stamp on the head. Replacements have a mushroom shaped head.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys you were both spot on. The one you have pictured is exactly what mine looks like. Appreciate the help, now I know where these belong, iron pile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts