Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I am having mine powder coated black. I am doing all the bright work in black except the side and vent windows and I may do those too if I can get the metal off the windows without destroying it. I have the one side of the grill back and it turned out pretty nice. Took the rest over to get completed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would look really good. Go for it!

hey sean did you weld studs on the inside of the bumpers so that the stock button bolts don't show? They look great though i'm pretty sure i'm going to paint my bumpers. Not just cause chroming is way too expensive but because it looks awesome IMO.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I am having mine powder coated black. I am doing all the bright work in black except the side and vent windows and I may do those too if I can get the metal off the windows without destroying it. I have the one side of the grill back and it turned out pretty nice. Took the rest over to get completed.
Be careful with powdercoat over chrome. I chipped the back edge of the coating on bumpers on another car and it pealed off like a big piece of vinyl wrap

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Be careful with powdercoat over chrome. I chipped the back edge of the coating on bumpers on another car and it pealed off like a big piece of vinyl wrap
The power coater said they will be sandblasted first to help with the adhesion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My powdercoater has always blasted my chrome pieces prior to coating and I've never had a problem with peeling. I plan to do my bumpers eventually being that the chrome isn't in the best shape and the price of re-chroming is more than I'd want to pay!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
hey sean did you weld studs on the inside of the bumpers so that the stock button bolts don't show? They look great though i'm pretty sure i'm going to paint my bumpers. Not just cause chroming is way too expensive but because it looks awesome IMO.
Yes. The bottom bolts are still there, but on the top ones I ground half of the button head off, welded it, then ground the other half and welded it. The only way you can get rid of all the heads is to use slip joints on the end bumper brackets, and that's too much worth for what its worth. You're maybe the only person that has ever even noticed!

Also, instead of powdercoating, you can just epoxy prime your chrome bumpers after sanding them with 80 grit. You can fix any dings or whatnot with regular filler, then paint them.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I had to do the slip joints on my end bumper brackets too in order to be able to remove the front bumper with the valence and front air dam still in place.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes.and that's too much worth for what its worth. You're maybe the only person that has ever even noticed! .

I look at the little things in a restoration of any kind, you my friend have a lot of unique characteristics with your car which is why I have so much respect for you. Same goes for local hero.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts