Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I could use some help here. I am doing something a little different with my Resto-Mod 69 Cougar. It is going to look like an original 69 Eliminator from 20 feet. But the car will have several changes that are subtle. One is having the stripe and "Eliminator" work painted on the car and cleared over. However, my car has been sitting at the paint shop for the last 2 months waiting on a template that never seems to arrive. My question is - has anybody else done this? And if so, where did you get the template/mask for the paint work? Are there kits available?

Thanks for the help!

Rich

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Seems like there was some variability in decal placement, but if you could get somebody with a decent set to give you some points/sizes/etc. you could come pretty close and nobody would know for sure without looking close. I don't have any since I am not a fan of them.....somebody will chime in surely. Drop some pics when you get it done though.....we still like that! ;>)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure if these stripes were painted on or not, but they look custom and clear coated into the paint. This 70 was at the Cascade Cougar Club last month and I
believe he is a member here. Beautiful car by the way and the paint work is just awesome.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Ok, I could use some help here. I am doing something a little different with my Resto-Mod 69 Cougar. It is going to look like an original 69 Eliminator from 20 feet. But the car will have several changes that are subtle. One is having the stripe and "Eliminator" work painted on the car and cleared over... My question is - has anybody else done this? And if so, where did you get the template/mask for the paint work? Are there kits available? Thanks for the help! Rich
Rich, Hello. I have done this with the 70 stripe set. Cougar was painted Black base coat, then the stripes where masked off (as if they were on the car), and the top coats of House of Kolors Prism Pearl Blue were applied. Removed the tape stenciles and buried it all in clear. I made my own templates with 3M tape / silicone paper and a stencile knife. And, used the actual stripes on a 70 Eliminator (that I then also owned), as the pattern for the custom work on my restomod. I had a drafting table at the time which was a big help in the layout work for the Eliminator nameplates & rear spoiler stripe. I screwed up the spoiler stripe during application and had to make another one... my painter was patient though & this was a lacquer job, so that tells ya how many years ago (1986); lol.

I am not aware of any stencile kits being available for this, but someone else might. I am not for certain, but I think Pheonix Graphix might be a place to check out. Here's a link: http://phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk1203.php

Gary

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gary;

Using the stripe kit as a template is just what I have been discussing with the paint shop. Great idea and happy to see it worked so well. The painer is just worried about how crisp the Eliminator word will come out at the end of the stripe. Looks like we will try it. I will post pictures when it is done. Thanks again.

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts