Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to paint my engine bay, what type of paint should I use? Will rattle can do the trick?

Thx

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK, I will tell you what I have found to be the closest match, Dupli-Color DE1635 Ford semi gloss black. It is engine enamel 500 deg. and looks great.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Rattle can will work, if, you don't demand show quality. I have done some very good painting with a rattle can, but found like all paint work, PREP is key. I also like to use a can snap on handle for better control. Tiger striping is one of the issues if you don't have a steady hand, and eye for where the spray is going. There are some rattle cans available with better spray tips that FAN the pattern better.

Play with it on scraps.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
200 Posts

I picked one of those up for like 5-10 dollars at a napa type store here in Canada and it is definitely handy. Saves your finger tip, don't get paint on your hands and also allows you to spray with lots of control.

I'm in the process of doing this as well. I will be using eastwoods under hood black semi gloss to replicate the factory finish. Eastwood sells some great paints imo.

http://www.eastwood.com/underhood-black-semi-gloss-aerosol-12-oz.html

·
Registered
442 Posts
Tow Cat, ON the same subject we are painting the inside engine bay and there has been alot of *****in about paint color and where and what to use. Will this Dupli-color 1635 work on my dash frame and steering wheel column or are the interior parts a different color all together? Sal

·
Registered
913 Posts
Tow Cat, ON the same subject we are painting the inside engine bay and there has been alot of *****in about paint color and where and what to use. Will this Dupli-color 1635 work on my dash frame and steering wheel column or are the interior parts a different color all together? Sal
The dash frame and steering column is a Black Charcoal metallic, and can be bought from most all Mustang & Cougar vendors, I have not found this at a parts store like the Dupli-color.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the info, it really helps a lot! I'll let you know how it turns out, wish me luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts