Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I'm done with the paint prep, and i'm ready to paint my cougar and I was wondering what type of paints you all have been using on your cars. I will be shooting a granite metallic, but i'm not sure what type of paint I want to use. Anybody have suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Painting

If your going with a metallic ,you have to use the BC/CC system.
Base coat /Clear coat. If it is a solid color you can go with a single stage that has a glossy clear in the paint. Trust me( I found out)
single stage is hard to do if you don't do it all the time.
The BC/CC system goes like this.
After preping your car, you shoot two coats of a flat looking paint which is just straight color. Wait about 30 minutes between coats and then shoot at least three coats of clear on it. I would use the urathane paint and not arcylic emanel because it's easy to buff out and repair.
Go to this web site. It's absolutely great. they will help you through anything. The guy Len stuart who runs the sight has a great video to get you started for $39. well worth it.

Best of luck,
Mike V

P.S. I want to see pictures when your done. I'm reshooting mine
cleaninig up my mistake of using single stage in about a week.

http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my area he he he.....

ok, first off single stage isnt a bad paint, however i would take BlueCats advice as well, dont use it if you are going with a metallic. if you plan on keeping the car, i also wouldnt use it. its not bad, not at all, but two stage paint really will last longer which is the choice for most of the guys in here who are actually into keeping their cars. go with the basecoat clearcoat system. depending on where you live, you may or may not have access to all of the brands out there. let me break it down as much as i can here. ( its gonna be a long post LOL )

PPG -- Good paints for the base and clear, but stay away from the clears that say "speed clear" or "production clear" 2100 i think is the number of their good clear.

DuPont -- Nason line --cant really go wrong here, their entry level stuff, Nason, is good. the basecoat is nice and pretty inexpensive. you can also get about any color in it as well. only thing i dont like is that you mix the basecoat with a 2:1 ratio ( basecoat to reducer ) so it doesnt go as long as you may want. still a gallon should be plenty for a whole car. ( including jambs ) the Nason Clear is really nice too. not too expensive ( about 120 around here in SoCal with catalyst ) but it doesnt always lay down as slick as you may want.

Dupont Chromabase Chromaclear line -- simply put the ChromaBase is the best basecoat out there right now. simple to use and its just damn good. get any color in it, and its just awsome stuff. 1:1 mix ratio, covers well, foolproof basically. problem?? lots o $$$$$. Chromaclear. lays down nice, good gloss. easy to handle. last for years and years. problem?? $$$$$$$$ over 200 a gallon for it. here in SoCal anyway.

RM -- i used their Diamont brand on my car this last time. the Diamont basecoat is ok stuff. laid down nice and good color availability. the problem?? $$$ and it tends to be a bit transparent. choose a similar base or primer to use under it or it may show through. the clear??? i used DC92 on my car and DAAAAAMNNN!!!! great stuff!!!! laid down really nice and its very shiny. im happy with it even though it was $170. id definalty use it again

( im using too much space here, ill hurry up )

Valspar -- good basecoat same problem as RM Diamont though, not very good coverage. their Clear??? errrrr, not bad stuff at all, but i dont care for the shine on it. its not all that glossy but it does tend to lay down nice if shot right, otherwise it can be too peely.

House of Kolor -- ok i have yet to use this stuff, but heres what ive heard. all around the basecoat is good. but costs too much. nice for custom jobs. the clear??? nobody i have talked too liked it. they all say its way too thick. like shooting Syrup.

ok damn, there is so much more i can say. but Logan might kick my ass if i keep going on. lol

oh yeah, i should also say that single stage is not bad by ways of durability. the main reason why you dont want a single stage metallic is that its hard to lay on there right. and after you shoot it forget about colorsanding and buffing it out. if you do that you will disturb the aluminum flakes in the paint and it will look funny. not only will it look funny but it will expose the aluminum to the air and it wull oxidize very quickly. im sure weve all seen the Maaco or Earl Sheib job that goes to hell in a year or less. Its that lovely Western Hi Glo crap. cheap, but wont last at all. if you go single stage go with a solid color and make it a Urethane. i shot RM Limco single stage on a Nova once and it was great. laid down nice and it will last for a good long time. the car still looks good and its been a year. its all your choice, but ill say this... the Urethane single stage for the Nova was about $120 total for everything.... my Cougars two stage with everything was $392 . so take your pick. Without some luxuries like gun cleaner and tape for the stripes and the white for the stripes it could have gotten down to about $320. but i think you get the point.

see???? look what happens when you get me started on paint!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
great site BlueCat... love the store section too. lol. too bad i can get that same exact Sharpe Platimun gun for $200 :D i love hook ups lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, you know your paint. Really appreciate it. I really appreciate the knowledge. I'm definately going with the BC/CC. Ithink either the PPG or Dupont. I\'ll have to call the paint shop. I will be posting pictures soon, maybe even today .Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts