Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I managed to get wvcat wet sanded today and removed the stripes. I realized how nice the body line is after removing the stripes, they kinda hide it with an optical illusion. After removing them and priming the stripe area with light gray primer I think I might like a light color on her, actually the gray looks nice!!! I was going to buy paint yesterday but didn't realize the paint color I picked out must have some precious metals included with it at just under 50 bucks a pint...ouch thats 400 dollars a gallon without the thinner and clear!!! I was then thinking about viper blue, its only 50 a quart so thats half the cost and the color is not that far off of the one I had originally picked but wasn't sure thats what I wanted so I didn't buy it yet. Now I'm thinking that I might not put the eliminator stripes back on and I might paint it a lighter color....hmmm I'm so confused!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ever think of the new Thunderbird Bluish green color?? not sure it would really suit what you are going after, but hell, id think it look pretty sweet at least on a 69 or 70 without all the stripes. real clean smooth look to it.... damn if my ass only knew how to use photoshop.
by the way.. 400 a gallon for basecoat?? what kind of paint was that?? Sikkens??? Glasurit? damn thats alot of cash

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was ppg paint, the guy wasn't giving me any discount thats for sure. The bad thing is that thats the place I've been buying paint for ten years!!! I think I'll probably go with a solid color with the dmall pinstripes to match the color I do the scoop & wing with. I'll keep an eye open for the tbird color. I have seen a real light metalic blue that looks kinda like silver blue that I'm going to consider.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ahh ok ok,. im a student so i get a discount at the paint store for 10%. not alot but i have a buddy who works there and can get an additional 10% off of that. so it helps. :D i got a gallon of RM basecoat for my car for about 150. i think a little less, i dont have the receipt handy. Diamont is a good brand he he.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Double OUCH!! Although I'v never liked it before, All these pics of silver cats I've seen lately has made it start to grow on me. Maybe a reverse of orifinal plans? Silver w/blue stripes?

rag

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Basecoat/Clearcoat paint is expen$$$ive!

The basecoat is expensive with this system, but the good part is that you don't need much of it. It covers much better than the old acrylic enamel, especially a metallic, and is really conducive to HVLP application meaning less overspray/ airborne mist.

I had a 85 T-bird Turbo Coupe in Medium Canyon Red Clearcoat Metallic. The paint was not available as a store-mix for some reason, so the paint had to be bought 'factory-mixed' by the pint. I think it was about $65/pint back ten years ago! Good thing I would only need three pints to paint the whole car!

Wvcat,

It almost makes you want to paint it good old Black, eh? You can still get black acryilic enamel for $45/gal! :p:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yaeh Chuck the silver and blue has crossed my mind but I'm like you and not a real big fan of silver. I also thought of the cheap black/white route and am stillconsidering white with pearl in the clear. I was quoted pearl added to the clear for 15 dollars and ounce. The guy says it takes about 3 ounces to start seeing a good effect. I'm not really cheap (maybe I am...lol) but I don't think I should have to take out a loan for materials. Thanks for the replies everyone I will be needing to get the paint this week wvcat is not far away from paint and I need to start painting the jams, trunk, and underhood areas.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
889 Posts
now you got me thinking

My 69 XR-7 is black with black interior,I was going to keep it black but that dark emerald green got a hold on me.I dont have a vynil roof but I added a hood scoop and spoiler and also have a spoile for the front.I was thinking of doing the scoop and rear spoiler in a black satin no stripes,just the green,satin black and chrome.Any coments? Dan

·
Registered
889 Posts
your probably right

I just needed a shove,like a black clearcoat. It will be a lot less work any hoo Dan:1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
black?? less work??? LOL this didnt happen overnight......

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Black on black and you're thinking of changing it???

I'd leave it as well...

sixt9coug - is that a photo of your handiwork???

When my 68 needs freshening up, I'll bring it out to you if it is :)

Ken

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
that color on some focuseses

it is kind of brownish green metalic. like metalic mud.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yup its a pic of the work on my uncles 76 Porsche 912. looks nice for a car that hasnt ( and still doesnt ) run since 1990 eh? lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
OK OK !!!

OK Ill keep it black my oh my te sanding and sanding and sanding,(no body knows the troulbe,nobody knows the pain)catchy tuneIll know it by heart in a few weeks. Dan

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Paint prep

Dan,

I spent nearly a full week on AlphaCat blocking/priming/blocking/priming/blocking... The results showed it though. Nary a wrinkle or ripple in the paint even considering all the patching/dent filling I had done.

Black is the most critical color for having a smooth body to begin with. The devil is in the details! My one buddy had a buffed out black lacquer paint job on his Nova so smooth that you could read a newspaper in the reflection. Now that's smooth!

·
Registered
889 Posts
nothig like sanding

Thanks CJ, I hope to do it soon.Heck we had SNOW her yesterday it was warmer in Alaska I gotta catch up on some driving first.The Great Lakes area is great if you like sudden weather changes it sucks if you have to make plans more than iday from now.Thank for the tip! Dan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts