Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very clean dashpad in my 70 but it was painted sometime in it's life. Oddly enough the dashpad is black and was painted a more Satin Black color. So my question was has anyone removed paint from an old dashpad and what products did you use. I now I need to be very gentle so I want to be careful with what I use. I tried Goo Gone in a bottom hidden area and it seemed to work but I wasn't sure if it was to strong.
Any comments would help, Thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I cleaned with windex then wiped with NAPA adhesive remover.
I got pad and other plastic down to almost white before restaining.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've redone quite a few painted interior pieces. I've used Easy Off Oven Cleaner (The COLD non odor type) Spray it on, wait and then just wash it with soap and water. I was a little hesitant at first but so many people gave me this tip I had to try it. Didn't have any problems. There must have been a reason that it was repainted or redyed. Maybe the old surface was looking bad. At any event, if you find it's bad under the paint you can just redye it. Good luck.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
gatorphan what a great tip it is the first i have heard about it going to have to try it over the next couple of weeks thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just make sure you get the "COLD-No Odor Formula". I think it's in a blue can. I just did a few plastic interior panels in a Chevelle (front kick panels and rear door panels) They were painted green over the original green but didn't match. I left the cleaner on per directions, used a soft brush to make sure all the crevises were clean, and then just rinsed off. It will leave the surface free of all oils and silicones so it may look a little dull. When I re-dyed them they looked like new.

·
Registered
433 Posts
paint removal.

So will this work on anything that has been dyed, like a console?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess it depends on what was used for color. If a good dye was used on clean plastic I don't think you can remove it because the dye is supposed to penetrate the surface. Using the claner will certainly prepare it well enough for any redying. If a simple paint was used on the plastic, this stuff will remove it quite well and it won't harm the plastic. Test an area first! Remember, some cleaners will melt plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts