Mercury Cougar Owners banner

paint my motor blue?

9K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Chuck 
#1 ·
Yes its true my 68 cougar has a red 302 4bbl motor. Where did it come from? Of up most importance do I leave it red or paint it blue. Please tell me what you think.

#2 ·
Somebody else painted it when they had it out. You can pull it and paint it if you want, or leave it alone, if you don't hate it. I won't judge you for it! (as long as it is "red" and not PINK!)

#3 ·
When I was sixteen I painted the 289 engine Hugger Orange in my '67 Cougar, providing an ultra cool look what with the yellow plug wires and the weiand triangular air cleaner. All my friends were suitably impressed.

#4 ·
"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

#7 ·
What is wrong with a red engine? The engine in my signature is in my Cougar now.

#24 ·
Same here! Painted it to match the red paint. Blue just looks wrong in a red car..well, a fast red car :evil:

#8 ·
Speaking specifically on opinion here..... if your car is basically stock and you intend to keep it that way, then the engine would look better in the
(dare I say it) "correct" shade of Ford corporate blue. If your car is far from stock and you plan to continue in that direction, then it doesn't matter WHAT the color is. If you want to tie it into the exterior color of the car, that works, or a contrasting color does too. Just don't pick anything that clashes. Oftentimes, if you're not sure, it just plain safe to go with the Ford blue.

#12 ·
Red on an engine is sweet if done tastefully ;)

#15 ·
Ford Dark Blue is the only color for engines in a old ford ! Anything else is Chevy or mopar envy !

#16 ·
I assure you that I do not suffer from this "envy" that you speak of.

#41 ·
Well, that is a Dodge truck in the background; and the "little V8" for Dodges of that era was a 4.7L which pencils out to a 289, so.......

#27 ·
I would paint the car BLUE before I'd paint the engine RED !

#29 ·
More red if you're green with envy.

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
Says who?

It is a Ford color, just not a Ford engine color.

#35 ·
Why thank you sir.

So Art, are you saying you are not a fan of the red then?

#38 ·
I lioke the way Black and natural look here.

This is the 302 for my 64 Fairlane.

#42 ·
If your referring to mine, it is more a 306(302 .30 over bore). It has a 73 block, 68 J code heads that have a lot of work done to them. My Fairlane is a C code car. The original power train was MIA when I got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.