Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an area about 1 1/2 inches in diameter on my '70 where the paint has lifted (no rust) it is a "bubble" and has a very small crack in it, I am considering "injecting" some hardner under it with a very fine diabetic syringe and pressing it back in place. Has anyone ever tried something like this? Perhaps, you have another idea\way of fixing this. Except for that one little area the paint is perfect, so I am not going to sand and try to touch it up...just want to stick it back down if possiable.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Never tried that. I'd like to know also.
edit,
I have a fealing it may not work. But good luck and I hope it does work for you.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to shoot super glue from the syringe last night...that ain't gonna work at all, the stuff seized the syringe up before I could even get near a piece of scrap paper to squirt it on. So, my thinking is using paint hardner..because when that dried on my bench in the garage, you needed a chisel to get it off. I really want to get it sealed down, before I make it worse (like blowing it off with the hose when I wash it)...or getting rust started under it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I agree to get it now. My vert had the same thing on the cowl...it was a crack in the paint and on both sides of the crack, the paint was just beginning to lift.
That was three years ago. Now, I have an inch and a half of peel and it just keeps getting worse.

Have you thought of at least asking a pro paint shop? Couldn't be that much $ if they do have a type of fix that doesn't include sanding and re-painting. I wish I woulda.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If the paint is lifting more than likely there is an issue with adhesion (SP) Was the car recently painted?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I gotta spot like that too Jay - I thought very simlar things - like slitting it, squirt a dab of epoxy or such then put some pressure against it with wax paper to ensure "smoooth transitions"? IDK, the reason it happens is most likely a contaminant existed in the spot - that may never adhere to anything....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
No magic bullet on this one Jay, but your idea sounds as good as any! Hardener is part of the paint process so it is a material that goes with the others, I dunno. My first thought was to recommend cyanoacrylate but you already tried that. I think that could work - if you could get it in there!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
My guess is the metal underneath has had some chemical applied that is reacting to the paint on top.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is the metal underneath has had some chemical applied that is reacting to the paint on top.
Yep, I thought that too, that someone had sneezed or something on that area during the paint job. It is just such a small area and it has been like that since I bought it 3 years ago...I always use the California Duster on it,, it never really sees any water...I just don't want it to get worse, like having that area chip completely off. I couldn't tell you the exact color, I bought it from a place called Coyote Classics (they specialize in old muscle cars) here in Iowa and it came in to them that color (kind of gold) ....so I really wouldn't have any way of know what exact color it is to have a professional take care of it. From what I have seen on NEW car touch ups, most of them you can tell right away where the touch up was done....paint fading and all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts