Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while back i had posted a thing about repainting my vehicle , well now im finally back into the mode of restoring my car thanks to me getting a good job now i can afford things

well im having a problem trying to figure out the whole paint situation , the original color was the light blue color and i even have the original receipt stating the color of the car from when he bought it , so as you can see it was light blue with a white convertible top and was white interior , so im wondering would it be better to match up as close to the original reciept so atleast i can say "restored back to original condition" or something , the only thing that i dont really agree with was the car originally had the spoke hub cab wheels which i really dont like the look of

my intentions with the car is restore it , bring it to a couple shows and then probably sell and eventually work on the next cougar project

·
Registered
389 Posts
depends. are you wanting to sink all the money into it to do a complete color change back to stock (trunk, door jambs, all semi invisible areas) and change the top and whatever else back to stock? you wont see that return at all upon resale. its a nice car but nothing that was a rare or limited production car.... i'd say it looks nice as is and drive it. if it needs a repaint, repaint whatever color you want, or paint it resale red if you are wanting to sell it. the restored back to original only goes so far...if it was undesirable or not a hot commodity then it probally wont be too much now.... bottom line, do whatever u want to your own car and enjoy the thing...u wont be able to make any money off it or anything close to breaking even if u go back and redo everything to stock. i like the way it looks now personally.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its hard to tell but the current paint is in not so good condition and my top has gotten so dry that theres rips , so i already have plans that i am repaint the car aswell as replacing the top and redo the interior

Thats why i thought about it , because its just a matter of picking a different color if i went that route or not , thats why i was just trying to decide on what to do , like even though the paint , top and interior would look like it did back when it was new i wouldnt want to put the original spoke hub cap wheels on the car because i dont think they look good at all

So i guess my options were keep it the same color the metallic blue , put it back to the original light blue with a white top and white interior or change it completely and make it burgandy still with black top and interior

·
Registered
389 Posts
dunno dude. gimme ur rims if u get rid of them though hahaha.

if the paint and interior and top already need redoing then if u wanted to you could go back "like" original but it wont be a huge selling point either way...actually a restored to original easter egg blue with white top and white interior might be harder to sell because you'll have to find someone looking for a 72 cougar restored as original....but if you painted it something cool with a black top that caught people's eyes, you might get more interest from someone looking for an old car that looks cool.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess that was the reasoning of the post , was would it really help the resell of the car that is it like original , but as you said it wouldnt make much of a difference

I mean the light blue isnt terrible but the only reason i even contemplated it was due to the fact i thought it could be worth potentially more money , but i didnt really think about that for the fact not everyone likes that color , i mean the original owner of this car back in 72' was an 18 year old girl so i guess she must have loved that color or something because thats how the car was ordered

I guess im back to thinking possibly just repaint the exact same color , but another color which i think looks pretty nice is the burgandy color , i have always though in my head that no matter what i end up choosing for a color that i would atleast make sure that it was one of the color options back in 72'

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Paint isn't cheap (Thanks Mr Obvious!) so be sure to choose wisely. If your gonna keep the car, go with the color you like. If your gonna sell it, go with a common or original color that sells well. If the original color was unpalatable I'd go with what works with the interior well. Your not gonna make a big dent in the value either way. A good running car will sell better - if it looks good on top of that, you will stand a good chance to get top dollar. I like the combo now personally, but I'd go white top if interior is....just looks classier IMHO

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so im down to 3 possible options for my car color , top and interior and i need people input on which they think looks the best

1. metallic blue with new black top and black interior
2. metallic blue with new white top and white interior
3. burgandy with new black top and black interior

Thanks

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Comparing light blue metallic vs a burgundy (pearl red); blue will cover much faster, so you'll use less paint, and it'll be cheaper to begin with. Going with burgundy could cost you twice as much. I say blue paint, black top, and black interior.

I like this color every time I spray it: Scion Azure blue.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Ya know I saw something on that price sheet that just about brought a tear to my eye. The power seat for $69 or the disc brakes for $62? Nope. 23 gallons of gas for $5.20. Yeah I remember those days.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i noticed that too...hell, wasnt long ago when that would just barely get u a single gallon of gas...

i dont remember the days of that cheap of gas but when i started driving i could put 10 bucks in my 77 chevy pickup and get pretty much 10 gallons worth....

but as gas started going up, i remember working at a gas station and seeing this little kid excited to be pumping his mom's gas... it had to be 1998 or so....he was pumping the gas and his mom told him to stop at 15 dollars...and asked him "do you know which numbers are the price?" and he responded "yeah, mom, its the ones that are going faster"...he had to be all of 6 yrs old...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i noticed as well , even when i was growing up prices were still extremely cheap compared to now , its sad thinking by me that $3.43 a gallon is a good price were only a few years back it was in the $ 2 range

that's why when looking at the car receipt i kinda thought it was funny it a way because its so hard to believe compared to whats going on now

definitely gonna cost me a bit more then $ 5.20 to fill the tank

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the color sean d likes is real close to the orig glacier blue on a 67---i really like the color but i think i'd go with a dk blue top and interior
doctordesoto

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi, I think your third choice would be best... Just check on the price because one guy posted that could cost you double... You can look at my car in my gallery pics... I have some kind of red shade 71 Cougar XR7 Convertible... My car isn't really a regular red it is a little bit more a darker red... My point is people love my car everywhere I take it... A lot of people ask me if I want to sell it but I'm not looking to sell... Also, to be honest with you I really don't usually like red cars that much but I just think it works on well on the 71-73 cougars... I know your not really looking for red but I think since you have your mind made up on Burgundy which is in the red family it would be a cool color... Also, on that color I really think a white top would look better than black... Since you mentioned you might want to sell down the ride and I always have people compliment my car I just thought I would give you my 2 cents...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts