Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry i dont have any pictures for my question but heres the deal. I just got my cougar from the paint and body shop. They were supposed to do some body work and then paint it. Six months later I get the car back. Im no paint expert but I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to look for because I think this guy did a hasty paint job on my cat. I had it painted grey and the texture looks like the texture of an orange peel. Please give me any info because I want to take this guy to small claims. thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this happen on mine last yr when it was painted and i took it back and they redid it. They said it was oversprayed with too much paint per coat and they had to sand it down again and redo it, mine was minor on just a few areas but i never noticed it until someone at a car show pointed it out and i guess it is called "orange peel" Good luck bro

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Sounds like the guys at the body shop did not know what they were doing or did a rush job. Incorrect temp, wherever they sprayed it could have been a cause, if the temp is too hot the thinners that is mixed with the paint dries before the paint gets a chance to flow evenly, also if they allowed the first coats to get too dry before they applied the subsequent coats, they may have been working on too many cars at once, there are a number of reasons for 'orange peel' effect, normally its the temp thats wrong, but it could also be incorrect pressure, incorrect mixing of thinners/paint/reducer, or using the wrong thinner/reducer for a type of paint. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Man, that's not a "rush job" if it took 6 months. I had my last car done and it only took a week (even that was too long for me) Have them do it over right. Most shops stand behind their work becasue of word of mouth business. (if there legitimate that is) Good luck!

·
Registered
866 Posts
6 months?! Whoa! Over here, I can get a car painted in an afternoon, and delivered to me the next morning.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
El_C, did you check on the progress during those 6 months? One of our cars is at the body shop now and we check on it daily, they are not working any faster, but at least they know we are keeping an eye on things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts